ATI Radeon 9800

be2weenthelines

It seems like a lot of people are having vast difficulties with the newer Radeon video cards. Add my name to the list. I've read the posts on this site (and others) but haven't seen anyone who has successfully tried to install drivers for the 9800. If anyone can point me to the right info, it might save me a lot of time and I would be grateful. Meanwhile, I'll try what has been suggested for the 9600 and see if I can get that to work.

This problem has been frequent enough, maybe the solution (if there is one) should be added to the hardware FAQ. If people post there experiences in reply to this, I'll collect them in suitable format for a FAQ. (Not that I'm a Linux expert or anything, quite the contrary, but somebody ought to do it!)

be2

I know of people who have managed to get their ATI Radeon 9800XT graphics cards to work in SuSE, however I don't know anyone in Mandrake.

Although, isn't Mandrake and SuSE close enough that if one did it in SuSE it can be done the same way in Mandrake?

i've managed to do it, but only in gentoo sadly :-(

i gave up in mandrake because of other problems

Same - incredibly easy in gentoo.

What has been the experience of people trying it in Mandrake? Whata kind of errors/problems are you getting?