devices now listed as scsi !

finlay

I have always had the line "append hdd=ide-scsi" in lilo.conf to enable my cdwriter. My devices were listed as /dev/hda1 etc as usual. I then added "hdc=ide-scsi" to my append line in order to make my dvd drive recognized by K3B and to my amazement df now lists all devices as part of scsi chain, as in: /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7

Kdiskfree shows the original (/dev/hda) type list followed by the scsi-type list. only the latter list has the graphic showing the amount of disk free.

Can anyone explain this to me? I realize it makes no difference to my system, it's only a matter of nomenclature --- or is it?

BTW I removed the hdc entry from append (and ran lilo of course) in an effort to get back to the original listing format - but no go. Still got the scsi-type listing.

Please explain, someone!

Finlay Welsh

Mdk 9.2 KDE 3.1

Edited by finlay

The ide devices are hda for primary master, hdb for primary slave, hdc for secondary master, and hdd for secondary slave. You have simply removed your secondary master, and none of this would explain why you are emulating scsi on partitions. So, would you post your /etc/fstab?

The ide devices are hda for primary master, hdb for primary slave, hdc for secondary master, and hdd for secondary slave. You have simply removed your secondary master, and none of this would explain why you are emulating scsi on partitions. So, would you post your /etc/fstab?

Yes, I understand about the convention of device listings. ( I didn't remove my secondary master - simply removed the reference from my append line in lilo so that it wouldn't be seen as a scsi device.) AFAICS the emulation is on devices, not partitions i.e. they refer to the devices which are mounted on partitions.

I'm glad it's been seen before, bvc - I'm not alone :D

For interest, though I don't see how it can help, here's my fstab:

/dev/hda7 / reiserfs notail 1 1

/dev/hda6 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /extra ext2 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda8 /home reiserfs notail 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 unhide,user,noauto,ro 0 0

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 unhide,user,noauto,rw 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb2 /mnt/win_d vfat codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,defaults 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda9 /usr reiserfs notail 1 2

/dev/hda10 /var reiserfs notail 1 2

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Finlay

Edited by finlay

When I am home, I will post my fstab. I use scsi emulation for both cd devices so that k3b can make cd copies. (Nothing illegal, of course!) Turning off scsi emulation simply prevents k3b from using two devices.

Is it a software program that is showing this? Perhaps the program is the error. I'll check it out when I get home.

are you having a k3b burning cd's problem, or are you just curious about how storage devices are listed in Kontrol Center->information->storage devices? if it's the latter, they look like this, correct?

if that's the case, it's normal & nothing to be concerned about. see this post & look for my reply about half way down the thread.......

Weird Partition Names

if it's a k3b burning problem, please post exactly what the problem is & we can take it from there.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Quick reply to the first posts:

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7

is not scsi, but plain ide. And has been for quite some time, /dev/hda7 was just a link, for backward compatibility and easier use.

scsi emulation days are over soon, kernel 2.6 writes directly to any ide device; I already used it in k3b, it works great. Don't know yet if it uses less cpu, only burnt a cdrw which was at 12x, which doesn't show up on my cpu load...

[root@default chris]# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part7

1.5G 539M 869M 39% /

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part10

2.4G 381M 2.1G 16% /home

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1

9.6G 2.6G 7.0G 28% /mnt/win_c

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part5

9.5G 32K 9.5G 1% /mnt/win_d

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part6

9.5G 5.8G 3.8G 61% /mnt/win_e

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part9

5.0G 2.3G 2.5G 49% /usr

[root@default chris]#

Chris

Just to be clear. It's not a problem with k3b, just the interesting way the devices are listed. aRtee seems to have provided the answer " /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7

is not scsi, but plain ide. And has been for quite some time, /dev/hda7 was just a link, for backward compatibility and easier use." Never knew that.

As I said in my original post "I realize it makes no difference to my system, it's only a matter of nomenclature --- or is it?"

So it is. End of story. However, the display in kdiskfree seems to have unneccessary redundancy, no? And it's a bit of a shock for those of us who've been used to /dev/hda1 and so on (since 1996 in my case) to find everything listed differently! :o

Many thanks for all your replies.

Edited by finlay