Syncing a Palm with Evolution

phunni

I'm trying to sync my Palm Vx with evolution and having very little success. I havetried running through the settings in evolution, but have had no success. I read here that someone had succesfully synced a Palm and MDK 9.0 (which is what I'm running) with no setup - this is what I want to do!

Any suggestions?

I can not comment on Mandrake 9.0 but I sync my palm with evolution and red hat 7.3 all the time.

However, I could never actually get it to work in kde the first time. I had to go into gnome and set everything up. And yes, you do need to do a little setup first. However, there is a little wizard for this that will guide you through it.

So, try doing the sync in gnome first and then it should sync in kde after it has been setup.

I got my palm to sync by setting up k3b. Since most of these are front ends for the same backend, I'll bet that almost any of the syncing programs wiil work after setup. k3b is a nice gui and easy to set up.

You are of course correct that k3b is a cd burning program. I have no idea where I, or my mind, was going!

Indeed, kpilot worked with my palm right away, and I had no success getting mine to sync until MD9. Prior to 9, I had only succeeded in corrupting my palm, and fortunately I had a backup at work. As I recall, (I hope I recall!) the issues I was dealing with were related to the usb function. MD9 worked right away with very little setup.

Ok, I tried kpilot and it didn't work :( It got as far as identifying the user but no further

I tried running gpilotd (for some reason this isn't automatically added to the system services to be started at startup). This didn't seem to even get as far as kpilot.

I am begining to think that this is a security issue - my boss has let me have his palm Vx and it still has some of his settings on it - including user and password. I imagine this would affect things? How do you set things like that right?

For some or other reason syncing always seems to run better with Gnome, but concerning your question about evolution:

Mandrake does not install Evolution conduits for your palm by default, so you need to install them from your mandrake cds (search for evolution and the conduits will pop up).

After you install the conduits, you need to open up evolution, click on "tools" and then on "pilot settings" set the e-conduits (ecalendar, etc) to "enabled" and then sync your palm (sometimes only works on the second sync).

Remember that you first have to have run the wizard to set up a user from your palm.

I also recommend trying J-Pilot, open it up and press your sync button on the cradle and then click on "sync" in J-Pilot. This program is very robust and if you can sync on it, then you won't sync anywhere...

OK, all the counduits for evolution are installed. I have hard reset the palm so everything is "virginal". Only problem now is that I can't run the wizard to set up a user on the Palm as it's already been done. Is there a way, short of uninstalling and reinstalling gnome-pilot, to clear this so I can start again? I am assuming that this is the only reson it's still not working

AAAARGH! This is so frustrating! It seems like other people are getting this to work without having to do any config, but I simply can't get it to work at all.

Gnome-pilot and the evolution conduits are installed. I try to run gnome-pilot-control-center but it says that there id no device available - even though there is a palm Vx attached to the computer via the serail port! The serial port is enabled in BIOS (I saw another post where this was one guys problem.

What else can I possibly do? Someone - please, please help me. I have tried finding how-tos on the web, but have found absolutely nothing useful

OK, I've tried to PPP to the palm and, while I didn't succeed, I did get as far as the palm trying to authenticate. This leaves me to believe (hopefully no wrongly) that there is nothing wrong with my physical connection. I am still a little bemused as to why I cannot sync my palm with my desktop. I have tried syncing with kpilot, jpilot and gpilot. It is the latter that I woukld prefer to use simply because I would like to sync with evolution.

What could be going wrong here?

Sorry man, I don't know what to tell you. Everyone I know got it going first time.

It must be something small that has been overlooked, the most common of these is specyfying the kind of cradle you have, serial port is selected by default, so you must change it to USB (assuming you have a USB cradle).

There is also a small program you can use (I think it's called usbreg, sorry - not at my puter now) which lists all the devices on your USB ports, once you know it is being detected, you can take it from there. I must mention that all the people who get it going first time have USB cradles which are generally easier to setup.

Don't give up, there must be a way!

Ok, I suspect that the problem lies with not being able to perform the first sync with the palm. I therefore have no users set up on my palm. I cannot get this to work with any of the linux tools, so I trying to get this initial step performed in Windows. Once I have a user on the palm, I will try to sync from linux again.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to do it from windows either :) :oops:

I have read the manual and it says that I should enter a new user after I have pressed the HotSync button - I've tried that, but it still tries to connect with no User.

Any tips on this step?

Guest jglen490
Ok, I suspect that the problem lies with not being able to perform the first sync with the palm.

I think you may be right. It seems like there was a discussion, perhaps on the "old MUB", that when synching a Palm device the first time, you actually have to "backup" the Palm device. After that you can synch.

Take that with a grain of salt, but the last time I looked at those programs, it seemed like there was a backup option of some sort, as well as a synch.