Syncing a Palm with Evolution

phunni

Is that not likely to protect any data in case it gets "nuked" by the sync? I will try that although I doubt I will be able to perform a backup - it seems impossible to get a username onto the palm - even through windows. I think it is supposed to ask for it during thefirst sync, but it doesn't.

I'm not entirely sure why this is, but I'm becoming fairly sure that all my problems stem from not being able to get a user onto the palm. I have tried running install-user but it simply didn't work. It's as if the palm doesn't expect to need a user.

hmmm... you don't usually get a user _to_ the palm, but you get one _from_ the palm.

I remember the first time I turned on my Handspring, it asked me for a user name... hold on, let me grab my visor...

Ok, try this: turn on your palm, then tap on "prefs" after that, use the scroll down menu to get to "owner"

The palm should then say "This handheld computer is owned by:" and give you space to type > fill in your new username and after that you should have a user set on the palm, now try setting it up in Mandrake...

The user is established by your palm device, not the desktop.

If you are interested, there is a way to reset the palm and clear all users. But you also need a backup of the software inorder to restore after you clear the device. I got instructions from palm, but I think I later found them in the manual (OK, I don't read manuals!) Might be that your palm needs to be reset. At any rate, I think this seems like a hardware problem(the palm), rather than a software problem (the os).

I have already done a hard reset on the palm to get where I am now - previously the user had been my boss, who gave me the pda.

I thought that owner information was simply to specify contatc details in case I ever lost my palm. Reading throug my instructions it seems to say that the user is established from the desktop. Either way, I added my name in that space and I still can't sync :(

Quote from the Palm V manual:

A hard reset not only erases all data from the organizer; it also erases the name and makes the organizer a clean slate, ready to recieve a new name.  The next ime you perform a HotSync operation with this old organizer, you are asked to give it a new name.

I have performed a hard reset on my palm and attempted a HotSync (have repeatedly tried with both windows and Linux) but I am NEVER asked to give it a new name. As a result it does not havea name. As a result (I assume) I cannot perform a syncing operation.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

When I reset my palm, it erased everything except the firmware. I had to reload a backup from my pc at work, with windows. I now have a backup at home on Linux. A hard reset should put you at the new user start up screen when you first turn on a new palm. If that is not happening, something may be wrong with the palm.

• 5 months later...

Here is how I sync my palm with evolution:

Firstly, the evolution conduits MUST be installed (no, they don't by default). So Step 1 is to open evolution, go to settings and then to conduit settings (depending on the version of Evolution). Setup all the conduits you need to run. It's usually best to select "copy from pilot" for a once off sync, so that empty dbs are not passed to the palm on first sync.

Right, I use gpilot to sync with my palm and, as you might have noticed, Evolution will automatically run gpilot for syncs. Remember, gpilot is kind of a part of Gnome and Ximian Evolution was optimised for Gnome, so obviously the two like each other. Now, obviously, we want to be able to sync without opening Evolution everytime, so Step 3 is to get gpilotd started with your window manager.

I use fluxbox, so to achieve this, I will edit my .fluxbox/startup file and include the line:

gpilotd &

So now gpilotd is running and I can sync whenever I want.

Next, we need to identify the pilot. Step 4 is to place the palm in its cradle and hit the hotsync button. Follow the steps to set it up.

Done. Hope it helps someone. If you are considering buying a PDA, the following run the Palm operating system and can be used with Linux:

Handspring Visor

Sony Clie

Palm Pilot