Brain Theft

SoulSe

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/unixproresources/

Well, it looks like M$ have planned a full-frontal assault for this year. Now they're aiming at getting Unix proffesionals to switch to M$ products with Microsoft Services for Unix.

:angry:

It's gonna be a sticky year kids. Get the ammo stock-piled.

Yup, the battle's on. Hang on to your seatbelts etc. etc.

As a UNIX professional, you’ve spent years learning how to manage and develop complex business systems. Now you can take that expertise and easily apply it to Windows systems. With these skills you can enhance your career opportunities, work with the latest technology, and help ensure that any Windows system you work on is scalable, stable, and secure.

I imagine they must really be thinking something along these lines.

"Poor boy! You had to study so long for your UNIX/informatics degree. Please come and work on or with our non-operating system! You can make more cash and find a real job. We cannot do it ourselves, but thanks to you, our latest vaporware will be more scalable, stable and secure."

It worries me though. They finally apprehended the real threat of Linux: lots of brains working together. As Caesar said, said 'divide et impera' again (divide and conquer).

Edit:

I explored a bit and found the page in the screenshot.

'Interoperability - Now we're talking'

WTF!!?

Somehow I cannot seriously imagine it will also 'interoperate' nicely with Linux... I mean, I wish this was a sincere effort to interoperate with other platforms. But it probably is not. Sigh.

post-21-1073478746.jpg

Edited by Darkelve

What administrator would ever switch from linux/GNU to windows?

I can understand some desktop users, they just wanted to try, dislike it or had no balls to understand and configure (or miss some games?) BUT ADMINISTRATION??

Does anyone knows examples of switching from Linux to Windows on network servers??? I don't. :thumbs:

Gosh, what the hell is m$ thinking?

In case some businessman would like to force me to use windows server I would rather use Linux and _tell_ the man that THIS IS NEWEST WINDOWS VERSION. Much more stable, secure and cheap :twisted: (well, actually I can get some extra many that way B) )

Also from the website. Notice the second result

2 results found, 1-2 shown below. Sorted by Popularity.

***Passport SDK 1.4: Bits and Docs for Linux***

Microsoft Passport is a suite of Web-based services that help make using the Internet and purchasing online easier and faster.

Date: 3/10/2003    Popularity: #1896 English download

***Services for UNIX 2.0: Triple DES Library Source Code***

Download the Windows Services for UNIX Password Synchronization Triple DES Library source code. The Triple DES Library source code provided after completing this download is not a Patch, Service Pack, or Quick Fix (QFE). It has been compiled and tested by Microsoft for the Linux platform only.

Date: 1/22/2001    Popularity: #3919 English download

(Popularity is based on rank in the Download Center)

Hmmm, can we turn this around (MS-style) and say Microsoft is making Linux-only products now?

:twisted:

Edited by Darkelve

I've used services for Unix for a contract I did recently - I have to say that, to be honest, it's ok to use. I've even compiled a few Unix apps to run on it (with some tweaking). My only gripe is that it uses either a Korn shell or a .. erm... can't remember the other one - but it wasn't bash :angry:

As a UNIX professional, you?ve spent years learning how to manage and develop complex business systems. Now you can take that expertise and easily apply it to Windows systems. With these skills you can enhance your career opportunities, work with the latest technology, and help ensure that any Windows system you work on is scalable, stable, and secure.

To me, this seems to say: the regular windows admins are incompetent, and instead of training them properly, we want the people who are in the know to see what they can do so that finally, MSWindows might become scalable, stable and secure.

Or am I just cynical? :D

** loads rifle and starts target practice on flying Windows CDs**

Ive got my own assault on windows planned this year!

Everyone at school this year has to have a Laptop, so my line of attack is to get Linux on as many of those laptops as I can. :evilgrin: :D

So far i have converted ...1 and school hasnt even started and I havent even got mine.

Ive got my own assault on windows planned this year!

Everyone at school this year has to have a Laptop, so my line of attack is to get Linux on as many of those laptops as I can. :evilgrin: :D

Go Ipithus!

(I do wonder if, for some strange reason, we're suddenly going to see a lot more FluxBox users... :lol: )

Edited by Darkelve

I'm sorry, but what the fsck is the point of making windows run like Unix, when you could just go straight to using Unix?!?

Microshaft hope that, while bashing away at a crappy fake terminal, you'll go "Hey, look at all the cool stuff in this Control Panel thingy" and convert... no dice. Any admin caught using a system like it should be beaten... badly.

When we have the choice of what OS to use, it's obvious you can run Linux as you like.

Just sometimes UNIX admins don't have that choice at work.

True, migrating to Linux is better, but sometimes it's not the admins' call to make, but management. :unsure:

When we have the choice of what OS to use, it's obvious you can run Linux as you like.

Just sometimes UNIX admins don't have that choice at work.

True, migrating to Linux is better, but sometimes it's not the admins' call to make, but management.  :unsure:

Good point zero0w, never thought of it that way...