SiS 900 onboard ethernet - SOLVED

mdemers883

Have u installed the apropiate drivers for your nic?

I have an onboard nic under nforce 2, and there are no md 9.2 drivers yet, so I had to compile them myself.

Look on the sis-website and look for drivers like .....src.rpm

I just checked here and I could find drivers for it...but they were only for windows :( I dunno, maybe there are linux drivers there and I just didn't notice them but I'm pretty sure that there were none.

Mark

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried drakconnect to the inside of your lan with a static address? I think you really have to try if it runs at all -- just to make sure you don't have a broken driver.

So just connect it to your lan (no inet/dsl/cable -- no dhcp) and see if it works.

Maybe it just doesn't get a hostname from the dhcp server, try changing that line.

(I know my server runs on dhcp but I set its hostname, not the cablemodem.)

[edit] just saw your last message above.

1) no the RH driver will NOT work

2) yes to build your own module (loadable) can work, but you already have one...

so back to the steps to try above:

- connect with some other pc's, no internet/dhcp, just static name and static addresses.

- set dhcp up but not the gethostname thingy from the dhcp server

hope this helps.

Edited by aRTee

The last time I installed a distro on a computer having the SIS900 chipset, it wasn't supported. Suse did not support it. Mandrake may not. I do know that Libranet does support this card. Unless you find the drivers, you may have to switch distros or do without the network...but how would you do that?

Check out Libranet if all else fails. Mandrake, however, is my favorite distro.

Cheers...

• 4 months later...

Hi

Don't start messing with other drivers yet... (I use the SIS900 driver on mdk9.1 and 10.0)

Your driver is loading (because you get output from ifconfig eth0), you are just not getting an IP address.

Do you NEED a dynamic address? If this is your own internal private network, use static addresses.

Several people have suggested you try a static address - have you yet?

To test your card/driver:

As root:

# mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.old

# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 up

# ifconfig eth0

You should then get an ip address (192.168.0.2) in the output.

If this works, there's nothing wrong with your card/driver.

It is normal for a card to 'hang' foir 30 seconds or so when looking for a dynamic address and it cannot find one.

Let us know how you get on...

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JustinLawrence

I had the same problem, then tried the simple solution on (http://www.thelinuxpimp.com/main/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=562). I have listed the solution below, in case that page should go missing:

"Simply changing the Plug&Play OS setting inside of your BIOS to no. I was receiving the above error on an SiS900 network card built into the motherboard until I turned off the Plug&Play OS setting and then everything worked perfectly. "

Now everything's working *great*!!!

Cheers

Justin Lawrence

www.m2north.com

www.irjsoftware.com

• 3 months later...

Well, I see some ppl have repsonded to this thread since I've read it last :P Well, some updates on what I've been up to. I've been using SuSE 9.0 and 9.1 since and it automatically detects my sis900 and my connection works right away. I liked suse, but I thought it was lacking in rpms. I've been toying with fedora core3 test2 the past couple of days...I'm not quite sure if I like it or not yet, lol. I had briefly installed mandrake 10.0 but my sis900 still didn't work :( ...but, I'm debating on installing it tonight with the plug and play OS turned OFF and disabling the acpi. Since my fedora install is fresh it's not like I'd be losing anything important.