PCLinuxOS - rave review

spinynorman

I don't know but I hear the beta is realy good as is.

IMNSHO, everyone whoe owns a computer with a CDrom should have a copy of this or knoppix or some other "live cd" opperating system. My hardware is realy flakey, so my computer crashes frequently, and I can't tell you how many times my old knoppix CD saved my butt. As soon as i get around to it, I'm getting a copy of pc linux

I have the 1130 iso which is still beta but it is great. Rumor has it that texstar is putting an updated iso up for download this week so you may want to wait a bit and get the new iso.

It's basically mdk 9.2 on a live cd with a lot of texstar tweaks and addons. Nvidia drivers, flash and java are included(no libdvdcss for legal reasons). Also, there's a cool app called "Mission Control" which seems to incorporate in a very intuitive way the kde and mcc config utilities along with some others. mcc and kde control center are still there in the usual way if you want to work that way. Just playing with it for a couple of hours I was repeatedly asking myself why mandrake doesn't do something like this in their release; this guy has got a lot of great ideas and a good sense of at least what I'm looking for in a distro.

I would recommend that any mandrake user, and mandrake itself for that matter, check this out. You won't be disappointed.

I would recommend that any mandrake user, and mandrake itself for that matter, check this out. You won't be disappointed.

Judging by the review, I sure hope that 'install to hard disk' option gets functional.

You think that in a few years we'll be in the following scenario?

- Operating System actually is on a USB key (hey, I found one of 1GB today), with one part OS other part reserved for encrypted/secured storage for /home.

- Just carry the OS (and your home system) everywhere you go; plug it in a kind of "base station" with a screen, then continue your work.

I dunno, but that doesn't sound *too* far-fetched in my opinion. Would be bad for HD-makers though, I guess... :juggle:

Edited by Darkelve

Assuming that Knoppix and PCLinusOS are able to mount and read/write to a USB key, with a combination of the two, you should be able to do that now. Although having everything available on a single USB key drive would be a lot more convienent.

I don't think it will put hard drive makers out of business though as the USB keys have a rewrite limit to them. They are great for read, but somewhat limited for write.

Someone has got to try to do this, a full distro plus /home on a USB key drive. That would be very cool. It could revolutionize the way that we view and use computers.

Actually the post about PCLinuxOs,

plus this article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/34511.html

(where you can see they effectively *did* split up the USB key into two parts. Doesn't have to be USB though, although I think at this time it would be the most convenient.)

made me think about this.

It would be quite a different way of working, I think.

Obviously, you need less disk space, 'cause your OS and data are on the key. With sufficient RAM, I think the difference in performance would not even be that great.

You are *truly* mobile with this: just a stick on a rope around your neck. Take that, Apple something-book users :P

Or let us say you have a laptop you plug the key in. If you forget it or it gets stolen, they'll "only" have a brick laptop.

I'm also thinking it could be great for DoCoMo...

Anyway, I'm ranting, but that's just because this is cool stuff 8-)

Edited by Darkelve

I just downloaded and tried the version 4 pre-release.

This guy's a f***ing genius!!

I wish he could go work for Mandrake themselves.

Would he want to do that? (could we give him a push in the right direction ;) , of course I know that his own business is his alone, but still...)

Never seen such a clean interface before.