Downloading and Installing Mandrake..

ncb

Hah you read this my scheme worked.. j/k

I have never had the connection to download an OS or anything but I still am on mandrake 8.1 and my brother will let me use his DSL connection well his box to download a newer version of mandrake.

What do I need to do? I know you have to download iso files or something then burn them and make a cd bootable etc. etc. but how do I do all this.. Can someone list the steps for me to go through..

I want to download it, burn it to cds, do whatever i have to do to the cds, then I can handle the install. Let me know, thanks. I'm just scared being on 8.1 that i'm at a security threat big time, and i'm tired of all the bugs and i want kde 3.0. I don't have the money to order these things all the time like every time a new version comes out.. Thanks.

Ack ! I was tricked into coming here... now I won't reply.

j/k :twisted:

A brief list of what you want to do would be:

1) download ISO files

2) check these files using command "md5sum"

3) burn these using the burn image option on fav burner. Do not burn as data type. This will also make CD 1 bootable

4) check your computer's BIOS options to be sure it will boot the CD. (usually hit the DEL key when system firsts posts to enter setup screen)

To get more specific, you will need to tell us what you plan on using to download and burn these with.

Well I will be downloading them off a Windows Xp box. If you have any links of where to get the iso files that would help. And what do you mean by using md5 sum? But i'll be downloading it on an xp box and i'm not sure what program he uses to burn things but i understood the burn it as an img iso file or whatever.