Wireless Broadband Router for Linux

computerlove

I can finally load the pcmcia module by changing the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia to

PCMCIA=yes

PCIC=yenta_socket

However, according to http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html , my Buffalo WLI-CB-G54 pcmcia card should be using Broadcom chipset. What module should I ask the kernel to bind in /etc/pcmcia/config? I choose orinoco as I cannot find something suitable.

How can I add WLI-CB-G54 as new LAN device before I can config it?

:wall:

Edited by computerlove

If it is a broadcom chipset, then you are pretty much out of luck. Broadcom has not released hardware specs or drivers to the linux community. The next best thing is to use linuxant's driver wrapper to load windows driver, but the success rate for that is really iffy.

Just in case you want to try it, here's the link

http://www.linuxant.com

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the virge of purchasing a similar setup when I made the startling discovery that wireless LAN's could only achieve 50MB/s and were not full-duplex.... I won't touch wireless until I can get full duplex at at least 100MB/s. I'll stick to good old CAT5 cables and switches until such a time.

• 4 weeks later...

The linuxant driver is only as good as it being recognised.

If you can see the card in kde control centre/information/pcmcia then its a good start :D

My experience of PCMCIA under Mandy is mixed and overall it seems to either work or not. I tried loads on my laptop in 8.2 through 9.1 without any success and then found it works perfectly in Debian based distro's....

I dont really understand WHY? just that it works....

Presently I took a shortcut and swapped my G card with my Brother for his B card.

Im presently running lindows (gasp horror) but it took about 30 secs to get it all working under lindows and Im reluctant to change back to Mandy and face the PCMCIA nightmare again....

One thing I noticed under mandrake is that pcmcia is started AFTER network ... therefore it will NEVER work without changing this or manually restarting networking. Even then you face probs if you use DHCP for a hostname etc.