reinstalling bootloader after changing windows installation

Guest SDMF

Now that I dug up my Win2K disc which I had lost, I would like to replace my bloated XP installation with a more compact and stable windows installation on my Windows partition. I'm not planning on rearranging any of the partitions, just doing a reinstall on my current one. The thing is, I know that this will replace the bootloader with the crappy windows one. What I want to know is, what is the best way to reinstall LILO after I have reinstalled windows. Can I just boot into mandrake setup off of the CDROM and skip to the bootloader step, then install the bootloader and quit the installation right there?

In a word - probably not. (okay, so that was two words)

Best solution: make a boot disk to linux so when you toast the bootloader you can still get in and then search the web for manual dual boot instructions. They are out there and they will show you how to do the dual boot thing without doing a reinstall.

or

wait a few days (theoretically) and install the newly released Mandrake 9.1. Assuming it actually comes out between the 15 and the 20th of the month.

just my thoughts on the subject.

Hi

What about booting cd 1 ? You can then type press F1 to get more options and type 'rescue' to get the rescue menu. There is an option there to reinstall the bootloader. This will detect your windows installation as well as you Linux one (of course ! .. this is Linux!) and will install Lilo at the right place (ie mbr).

Hope this helps

MOttS

Hi

What about booting cd 1 ?  You can then type press F1 to get more options and type 'rescue' to get the rescue menu. There is an option there to reinstall the bootloader.  This will detect your windows installation as well as you Linux one (of course ! .. this is Linux!) and will install Lilo at the right place (ie mbr).

Hope this helps

MOttS

Right, forgot about the rescue part on disk 1. (hehe, one more post for me as well)

A more specific post-count-increasing post:

Boot CD1

Hit F1

Type:  rescue

Type: chroot /mnt

Type: /sbin/lilo -v

I think that's right.

;)

This is what I do when I want to rescue a non-MDK install. I boot cd1 of Mandrake, press F1, type rescue and then choose 'Go to console'. At the console I mount the Linux partition that I want to rescue and chroot to its environment with 'chroot /MountPoint'. Then I can type 'lilo -v'. That works for Gentoo at least and I don't see why that couldn't work for other distro as well. That's a good way to recue other Linux distro when you don't have a boot floppy (or you don't have a floppy drive).

One more post! .. hehe

MOttS

Now that I dug up my Win2K disc which I had lost, I would like to replace my bloated XP installation with a more compact and stable windows installation on my Windows partition.  I'm not planning on rearranging any of the partitions, just doing a reinstall on my current one.  The thing is, I know that this will replace the bootloader with the crappy windows one.  What I want to know is, what is the best way to reinstall LILO after I have reinstalled windows.  Can I just boot into mandrake setup off of the CDROM and skip to the bootloader step, then install the bootloader and quit the installation right there?

Just a thought but whenever I have re installed Windows (Win98SE) it has insisted on taking over the whole drive regardless of what linux partitions were also on there. This meant that I then had to re install Linux and shrink the Win partition down to a sensible size. Make sure you back up important dirs/files.

Yes, it's a good idea to backup. Anyway, what seems to be so long ago, I found out that you could make Windows use only the partition you want, by using those steps:

1- create a DOS boot disk, able to see the CDROM drive (maybe freeDos is good for that, else a Win98 boot disk with CD driver is ok).

2- boot on the boot disk, and insert the CDROM, just to be sure you can access and read it.

3- eject the CDROM, you don't need it for now.

4- launch A:fdisk and delete the current Windows partition

5- with fdisk, create the C: partition anew where you want and the size you want, and format it as FAT (A:format /? to see how to specify volume name and I think it is /S to put the system files on the partition)

6- you'll have to reboot...

7- boot with the same boot disk and insert Win98 CDROM

8- A: is floppy, C: is empty DOS drive, and D: is cdrom, so:

9- D:install

10- plug and pray...

Yves.