reinstalling bootloader after changing windows installation

Guest SDMF

Yes, it's a good idea to backup. Anyway, what seems to be so long ago, I found out that you could make Windows use only the partition you want, by using those steps:

1- create a DOS boot disk, able to see the CDROM drive (maybe freeDos is good for that, else a Win98 boot disk with CD driver is ok).

2- boot on the boot disk, and insert the CDROM, just to be sure you can access and read it.

3- eject the CDROM, you don't need it for now.

4- launch A:fdisk and delete the current Windows partition

5- with fdisk, create the C: partition anew where you want and the size you want, and format it as FAT (A:format /? to see how to specify volume name and I think it is /S to put the system files on the partition)

6- you'll have to reboot...

7- boot with the same boot disk and insert Win98 CDROM

8- A: is floppy, C: is empty DOS drive, and D: is cdrom, so:

9- D:install

10- plug and pray...

Yves.

That's interesting, Ill try to remember that :)

When you install (reinstall) win xp you can actually do that (delete a partition and create a new one) from the installer. But if SFMD install a different version he will have to do that with a win98 boot disk.. I think so anyway.

Just my 2 cents to raise my post again! lol

MOttS

Yes, the /s switch on the format command won't work with a boot disk made with a version later than Win98.

The 2000 and XP partition manager (which blows, btw), will only allow a new C: partition to be installed at the beginning of the physical disk. Hence YinYeti's workaround to use the Win98 boot disk to set up partitions.

partition magic rescue disk are fantastic !!! :D

they can move/create etc etc all manner of partitions

perhaps I should image them and put them on an ftp server ??? is that illegal ? they come free with partition magic, so I guess the license would restrict me distributing the rescue disks :?