MDK 10 + Firefox = BITCHIN!

rockybalboa

firefox is the best thing since the sliced bread :) i use it on linux at home and windows at work, i have converted basically everybuddy that i know to it, the extension all in one gesture is rocking so much :)

Edited by !nkubus

Firefox and 10. Community Edition was not friends on my PC. After surfing 5 minutes the hole kanudle froze as if it was Windows.

But now on my 10.0 Official Community Download Edition (or whatever they call it now...) Firefox runs like a charm. I love it :woops:

Anyone know if there is a way of installing extensions without loggin out and in as root?

What makes me wonder is how much much slower Firefox runs on Linux than on Windows, on my system. We're talking huge differences here, especially when opening a number of tabs at the same time. Firefox on Linux is very irresponsive, then, while you don't even feel a hitch on Windows. Also, downloading stuff using Firefox eats up 6-10% CPU on Linux, 1-2% on Windows.

Is my MDK installation buggered, or IS Firefox really that much slower on Linux than Windows?

-Sascha.rb

Dunno, to be honest I havnt used it for a while..

Not that I dont like it but its more about being spoiled for choice :D

Opera/Konqueror are presently my 'preferred' browsers ... but only becuase the icons are easy to hand.

nggalai ... might be a dns resoluition prob or something ...

try Opera free (not to replace it but just see if its slow too),,, its blazingly fast for me .. I have no Windows to compare with... except at work and thats IE through a treacle filter.

Good to hear it's working for you guys. :) Just to make sure, could you do the following?

Go to mandrakusers.org, and subsequently open all sub-forums in background tabs.

If I do that on Linux, the next tab will only open after the previous tab / page has been loading for some time (doesn't need to finish loading, though), and the browser sort of "hangs" i.e. doesn't respond to clicks and the like for some seconds with each newly opened tab. In Windows, no "hanging" at all--middle-click on forum link, opens, middle-click on next link etc -> no problem. With Linux, I can't even scroll down the page and / or click on other links while pages in tabs are freshly being loaded. There's something like a .5s delay, in some rare cases (opening an RPMS ftp directory in the background), the whole browser "hangs" for up to 5 seconds. Not so under Windows.

Any idea what's wrong with my Firefox setup? Feedback would be much appreciated indeed.

-Sascha.rb

I dont have any probs with Firefox, I use it on my laptop in windows, Linspire and Mandrake and it seems to respond the same in all of them (Fast) Firefox takes about 2 seconds to open on all os's. I am not using the version that you can get via urpmi I downloaded it and installed it manually and configured java and flash manually too.