MandrivaUsers.org : Another one jumps ship... - MandrivaUsers.org

Posting New Items in Portal News

Space is limited on the portal page, so any news item that is excessively long, may be edited. If you don't want your item edited, please post in Everything Linux. There is no need to enclose the main body of the item in quotes: a link to the source provides sufficient attribution. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another one jumps ship...

#1 User is offline   {BBI}Nexus{BBI} 

• MUB Addict
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

Songbird halts major support for Linux...http://mandrivausers.org/public/style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif

www.ubuntugeek.com
Need help setting up your Mandriva sources?

go here: easyURPMI
or here: smartURPMI

Commandline admin too cumbersome? Try Webmin:

Know what VMware is? Virtualbox: Open Source equivalent.

GNU/Linux Powered <-> Firefox Driven <-> Thunderbird Enhanced

The less we know, The more we fear..... <> MY F@vor|t3 0p3r@TYNg sYZ7Em 15 LY|\|Ux458052

#2 User is offline   tux99 

• Emperor Penguin

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

I had never heard of Songbird before so personally I'll hardly miss it, but according to Wikipedia it's GPL2 software, so if there is any interest someone will fork it and continue Linux developement. With GPL'd software this could actually mean that the forked versions gets better than the original and the original fades into insignificance.
Linux user since 1995 (Slackware 2.2), Mandrake/Mandriva user since 6.0, Redhat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
>>>LinuxTECH.NET<<<
Linux - Life in the Open without Walls or Windows

#3 User is offline   Reiver_Fluffi 

• Often misunderstood...

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

I seriously hope that no outsider takes a look at the comments on that and believes it to be indicative of the Linux community as a whole. They come across as a bunch of whiny brats. The organisation has limited resources and decided to focus on the wider user base, a harsh reality of real life. Get over it and grow up.

#4 User is offline   {BBI}Nexus{BBI} 

• MUB Addict

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

View PostReiver_Fluffi, on 05 April 2010 - 01:53 PM, said:

I seriously hope that no outsider takes a look at the comments on that and believes it to be indicative of the Linux community as a whole.
I hope they do. I hope they realise that just because your product is "free" you can't 'wine and dine' the community, you can't encourage their support and feedback to improve your product only to drop them as soon as you get a better offer.

They come across as a bunch of whiny brats.
Or come across as users who give a damn, so much so they choose to voice their disgust.

The organisation has limited resources and decided to focus on the wider user base, a harsh reality of real life.
Interesting how this has become an issue as soon as they decided to step into the video arena. I'm sure the fact that DRM and Open Source don't mix has nothing to do with it.

Get over it and grow up.
I'll leave that flame bait alone...http://mandrivausers.org/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

The less we know, The more we fear..... <> MY F@vor|t3 0p3r@TYNg sYZ7Em 15 LY|\|Ux458052

#5 User is offline   {BBI}Nexus{BBI} 

• MUB Addict

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

In true GNU/Linux tradition Songbird has been forked. The new incarnation is called Nightingale: http://getnightingale.org/

This post has been edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}: 12 April 2010 - 12:30 AM

#6 User is offline   grendal 

• it's u not me
  • Group: OTW

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:16 AM

View Post{BBI}Nexus{BBI}, on 12 April 2010 - 12:29 AM, said:

In true GNU/Linux tradition Songbird has been forked. The new incarnation is called Nightingale: http://getnightingale.org/

that didn't take long at all. I never cared much for songbird (linux or windows version) but hopefully Nightingale does well.
......And though the past has it's share of injustice / Kind was the spirit in many a way / But it's protectors and friends have been sleeping / Now it's a monster and will not obey......America, where are you now? Don't you care about you sons and daughters? Don't you know, we need you now! We can't fight alone against the Monster. America?!?

Read more: STEPPENWOLF - MONSTER LYRICS

#7 User is offline   scarecrow 

• Platinum
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

I have surely included Songbird to my list of the most badly designed bloated/disfunctional software ever, so I wouldn't care less about their drop of support for *nix.
Fork it? Whatfor? Bugs shouldn't be forked...

#8 User is offline   Artificial Intelligence 

• UF Council Member
  • Group: OTW

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:19 AM

Tried Songbird once, then removed it again. I prefer Amarok as a Music library/player/etc. When I need/use a simple player for music, VLC is doing a fine job.

View Postscarecrow, on 19 April 2010 - 05:16 PM, said:

I have surely included Songbird to my list of the most badly designed bloated/disfunctional software ever, so I wouldn't care less about their drop of support for *nix.
Fork it? Whatfor? Bugs shouldn't be forked...

Whoa...It must be one of the few times I actually agrees with scarecrow :D/>
Posted Image
| Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit | Gnome Shell | Unity |

| Ubuntu Game Icons | My Blog |

Tweak Unity with MyUnity
Tweak Ubuntu with UbuntuTweak

#9 User is offline   scarecrow 

• Platinum
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

I am not really an Amarok fun. Whoever is may try Clementine, which immitates Amarok 1.4.X, but without any KDE dependency (just QT4), while Foobar2000 (arguably the best windoze music manager ever) works just fine under WINE- preferrably with OSS4 instead of alsa.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users