Canon i560 wih Linux? [solved]

shaner

Ok, I have a Canon i560 printer. I'm using LE2005. I have cups configured to the BJ7000 which seems to work with some problems. It always leaves the little green light blinking after I print until it is shut off and re-started. I did some searching and came up with that I needed to install these two things:

bjfilterpixus560i-2.4-0.i386.rpm

bjfiltercups-2.4-0.i386.rpm

So I downloaded them from here:

ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/

I tried to install them, however the pixus one needs: libpng.so.2 I did some searching for this and couldn't find it. I installed libpng3-1.2.8-1mdk but that didn't seem to meet the need. I don' t know what else to do. When I print on the printer it always comes out lighter than when I print with windows on the same printer. Any ideas? Thanks

Shane

libpng.so.2 was included in the older libpng2 package... you might try softlinking libpng.so.3 to that name, it might work.

But anyway those Japanese Canon drivers aren't terribly useful, at the end you will shed thirty dollars and buy the Turboprint CUPS printer driver, which works very well with almost all Canon printers...

Of course a mass petition to Canon about stopping their nonsense and issuing Linux drivers wouldn't harm noone (with the possible exheption of Turboprint.de).

Edited by scarecrow

I'm dual booting and new to linux, so I will keep my $30. I don't know how to soft link anything. What does that mean? and how do I do it? I will need simple step by step instructions. Is there already a petition for canon that I can sign, or does it need started?

Thanks.

Shane

Softlinking is done in a root console like that:

ln -s /usr/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.8 /usr/lib/libpng.so.2

(I've just seen that libpng.so.3 is actually also a symlink to libpng.so.3.1.2.8).

For more info on soft linking - symlinking, check say here:

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/rad/unixcmds/ln.html

or here:

http://www.ss64.com/bash/ln.html

It resembles a bit a windows "shortcut", but it has a lot more options than that.

AFAIK there is no petition for Linux drivers largely circulating, but as a Canon customer you can email their support dpt and complain about the lack of Linux drivers. I have already done so (owning a Pixma i5000). BTW I use Turbolinux for printing, which I got at a bargain price.

Edited by scarecrow

as you have the rpm file, you could extract the sources of the rpm with cpio in order to rebuild the rpm, i guess. the best thing would have been if they offer a src.rpm which you could rebuild (and alter if necessary) in a hurry, thus maybe fixing the dependency problem.

Ok, I got it, I downloaded every lib.png that I could get my hands on. After about 5 downloads, I went back and tried to re-install the pixus thing, it works great! The little green light even quits blinking, and the print comes out much clearer. Thanks for the input!

Shane

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, I got it, I downloaded every lib.png that I could get my hands on.  After about 5 downloads, I went back and tried to re-install the pixus thing, it works great!  The little green light even quits blinking, and the print comes out much clearer. 

After the softlink i've installed with --nodeps option:

rpm -Uvh --nodeps bjfilterpixus560i-2.4-0.i386.rpm

on LE2005. It works also.

Henner