xMule woes

Vdubjunkie

Hello all,

Is anybody out there running xMule? Only 3 show up when I look at statistics, so I may be out of luck, but I've pretty well got this thing working except for the LOWID deal. My configuration is as follows:

internet -> physical router -> pc(s)

On the router I can forward ports either TCP/UDP or both, and this has always worked in the past. I started wondering if maybe my ISP was going gastapo and locking a bunch of ports. So, I decided to port scan (naturally from a remote location) to see if the ports were open or not. I even went to the extent of using port 5904 which I verified did forward properly, and used it for xMule. I was still refused connection from my port scanner.

What I was wondering here is if anybody else has managed to overcome the LOWID issue with xMule and if so how. Or, anybody get it with something else like aMule? Unless there is a way to use a port without it showing up with a port scanner I think my test definitively tells me that xMule is simply not using the port I tell it to use.

:wall: help!!

HI Vdubjunkie

xMule uses the eDonkey protocol so it basically works using the same ports. Pretty much all of the info is transfered through port 4662 (tcp & udp). So forward this port from your router to your pc and it's going to work.

HTH

MOttS

HI Vdubjunkie

xMule uses the eDonkey protocol so it basically works using the same ports.  Pretty much all of the info is transfered through port 4662 (tcp & udp).  So forward this port from your router to your pc and it's going to work.

HTH

MOttS

MottS,

Thanks, unfortunately that is the part I already knew. I've even tried other ports, and nothing works. Since I was able to access other programs across those ports, I thought perhaps the program wasn't utilizing the specified ports correctly.

double check what IP you forwarded the port to.

I previously had 4662 forwarded to my router at 192.168.0.1, which seemed to work, but not as it should of. I ran ifconfig and it showed eth0 was on 192.168.0.2, so I changed it to that and I got an open ID and things worked much better.

I would also try overnet:

http://www.edonkey2000.com/

basically same files and all, but much more refined and stable.

Sorry, nothing quite so simple as that. I run all static IPs, and that part was good. It really just looks like the program doesn't use the port I give it, whether that be it's default or one I choose. My friend experiences the same thing. Oh well. Maybe I'll look at overnet.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

hi ,

i use amule and xmule all the time and there is a way round it.

I use Guarddog to manage my firewall and i have port 4662 open.

I have posted about this before and never got a good reply but here is the thing.

If i boot up, run guarddog (as root ) and click 'apply' without changing anything i dont get a lowid, otherwise i do.

So thats my way round it.

It is a drag that i need to refresh my firewall scripts this way, if anyone knows another i would be glad to not have to start guarddog everytime i reeboot.

Eska