no dev/dsp NO SOUND AT ALL

newbie4ever

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

discovered something new. I remembered that "fuser -v /dev/dsp" would not print out anything. I fired up the "frozen bubble" game, which I know is supposed to use sound,

and returned to the Konsole and re-typed "fuser -v /dev/dsp" and behold,

found

USER PID ACCESS COMMAND

/dev/dsp {user} 2776 f.... frozen-bubble

{user} 2777 f.... frozen-bubble

{user} 2778 f.... frozen-bubble

{user} 2782 f.... frozen-bubble

I have never seen "artsd" appear in the list. I looked through the menus and finally discovered the Arts sound server (Configuration -- KDE -- Sound -- Sound System), which had never turned on. But when I tried to enable it ("enable Arts at startup, sound I/O method: ALSA) , an error box popped up and said "device not found or busy, returning to null device". What device, the /dev/sound/dsp?

So.... I found another menu item titled "configuration -- KDE -- Information -- sound"

This is what it looks like:

Sound Driver: 3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.9.6 emulation code)

Kernel: Linux localhost 2.4.22-10mdk #1 ...

Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:

SiS SI7012 at 0xa400, irq 5

Audio devices:

0: SiS SI7012 (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:

7: System timer

Mixers:

0: C-Media Electronics CMI9739

Does anything look wrong here?

I found something really disturbing!!!

Every time I reboot my system, there is the empty "/dsp/" folder under "/dev/".

I "rmdir" it and "ln -s /dev/sound/dsp dev/dsp" and then check it and see that it is now a link, "ls -l /dev/dsp" prints out "dev/dsp -> /dev/sound/dsp"

I then run a game and see "fuser -v /dev/dsp" is using "dev/dsp" but is of course silent.

I choose "save settings" in the terminal menu, in case the kernel forgot to save it or something.

I wait a minute and choose "restart computer".

When I reboot the computer, there is no "@dsp" link under "/dev/" only the useless folder "/dsp/". What on earth did I break???? Is there another way I can manually force the kernel to save settings?

If frozen bubble doesn't give you any warning that sound is disabled, your mixer is just muted.

BTW you don't need arts.

Try some other programs, set them to use alsa for audio, and then play a file; try xmms, xine, mplayer.

We'll get to the /dev/dsp folder problem later, just first try to get some sound.

aumix -q

vol 100, 100, P

pcm 100, 100

speaker 100, 100

line 65, 65, P

mic 65, 65, R

cd 65, 65, P

igain 40, 40

line1 65, 65, P

phin 65, 65, P

video 65, 65, P

it should be on. The condition of the /dev/ directory is the only discrepency i can see between my software and james's. Of course the number of things that are harder to find can be staggering (but unlike Windows, they are possible to find with some work).

Why is /dev/ rigid like that, is it to prevent me from setting things that disagree with hardware?

I discovered something new by running frozen-bubble under command line;

it seems that running from menu never gives verbose reports.

Also, running from menu has half the time resulted in crashes (with no report) and the rest of the time run with no sound.

When I ran frozen bubble under command line, I got it to crash with this report:

[sDL Init] ALSA lib pcm_hw.c: 1055: (snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed:

device or resource busy

[Graphics...] [Levels] mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed).

It did not hang the computer, only returned to prompt.

This "device or resource busy" message has shown up before, when I tried to turn on KDE sound system.

I checked "fuser -v /dev/dsp" and "fuser -v /dev/sound/dsp" and got nothing, meaning (I would think) that the device or resource SHOULDN'T be busy.

I found "artsd" inside folder /usr/bin/. I tried running it as a command. It produced:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device or resource busy).

I did "fuser -v /dev/dsp" and "fuser -v /dev/sound/dsp" and got no listings.

Either this is a flat out timing problem, where the conflict arises in too short a time to view what is using 'dev/dsp", or I have a corrupt device file somehow.