no dev/dsp NO SOUND AT ALL

newbie4ever

i see those errors in alsa problems in the web.

btw, are you running MDK 9.2 or 9.1 ?

if for 9.2 , do you have sndconfig installed? you should have sndconfig-0.68-1mdk.

have you tried running "sndconfig" as root in terminal /CLI ? maybe it'll work in CLI rather than in MCC. (just a thought ...)

----

one more thing to try,

is your fax-modem built into the system or is it a pci card?

if it is a pci card, can you take it out first and try to configure your sound again?

Edited by james

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what do you get if you go through the /proc filesystem?

gentoo root # ls /proc
1     3901  4138  4187  4227  4906  7          crypto       interrupts  misc        stat
10    3976  4142  4189  4228  4907  8          devices      iomem       modules     swaps
12    4     4153  4191  4229  4921  acpi       diskstats    ioports     mounts      sys
124   4122  4154  4194  4235  4930  asound     dma          irq         mtrr        sysrq-trigger
2     4132  4158  4195  4237  4995  buddyinfo  driver       kallsyms    net         sysvipc
2562  4133  4160  4197  4239  4996  bus        execdomains  kcore       partitions  tty
3     4134  4164  4198  4258  4997  cmdline    fb           kmsg        pci         uptime
3001  4135  4166  4199  4871  5     config.gz  filesystems  loadavg     scsi        version
3003  4136  4168  4225  4904  5025  cpufreq    fs           locks       self        vmstat
3027  4137  4185  4226  4905  6     cpuinfo    ide          meminfo     slabinfo
gentoo root # ls /proc/asound
AudioPCI  V8235  card0  card1  cards  devices  modules  oss  pcm  seq  timers  version
gentoo root # cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [V8235          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
                    VIA 8235 at 0xe400, irq 22
1 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                    Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xd000, irq 17
gentoo root # cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_via82xx
1 snd_ens1371
gentoo root #

I don't have a "/proc/asound/" directory or a command "sndconfig" in "/sbin" or wherever it is supposed to be. And there is no "/dev/dsp". So something that should have clicked in ALSA just didn't. Is it bad that the sound card is at PCI slot 2.7 and that the USB ports are on slots 3.1/3.2/3.3? The USB works now, but the sound only works in Windows.

something else that struck me as "odd" I should have mentioned earlier. Most of the devices on HardDrake have a "configure module" option that makes sense for the particular device, but the ones on the sound card are bizarre: "joystick_port" and "mpu_port" as well as things like "enable". I have never tried playing with the module configuration for hardware this way, so I probably risk breaking it to set "enable = 1",

but the mention of joysticks is a sign that detection went awry.

try to go to MCC, install package "sndconfig". If you are using MDK 9.2, it'll install sndconfig-0.68-1mdk and 4 other dependencies.

then open a terminal / CLI, su to root and type "sndconfig".

please post the results...

(am changing mobos sometime next week so i might not be able to compare 7012 specific results...)

The good news is, I found the option "PnP OS" in the BIOS and disabled it, and upon running Linux I discovered that I was able to install drivers, and that a number of new "snd" modules showed up in "lsmod".

The bad news is that, despite repeatedly trying drivers in HardDrake (especially "snd-intel8x0" the one supposed to work with SiS7012), I still cannot get sound out of Linux in any way except the CD player (which of course bypasses the sound controller and goes straight to the speaker).

After one more reboot, ALSA decided to finally say it was "running" under services.

Unfortunately, the command "aumix -q" is still not recognized by Bash.

I have the feeling that ALSA is still not quite right.

Finally, the contents of "/dev/dsp/" exists now but is empty.

No results are displayed when I type "/sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp" implying that it is unused, despite the nice tree of modules that is apparent in lsmod.

the output of "ls -l /dev/sound" is

"audio" "dsp" "mixer" "sequencer" "sequencer2" ( and various flags; I can't seem to copy and paste between the console and the webpage)

the output of "ls -l /dev/snd" is

"ControlC0" through "ControlC7" "pcmC0D0c" "pcmC0D0p" "seq" "timer".

/dev/dsp is still empty, and "fuser -v /dev/dsp" still doesn't produce anything (what does "fuser do anyway, list dependencies?)

As I have mentioned, ALSA is running and a tree of "snd" modules exist.

I do not want to have to re-install.

The other flags are the things that matter, just copy-paste by selecting with your mouse, see this demo:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/lmb-mmb...copy-paste.html

(needs flash, >640KB page..)

/dev/dsp should be a symbolic link to /dev/sound/dsp

as root:

rmdir /dev/dsp

ln -s /dev/sound/dsp /dev/dsp

should do it.

It seems to me you are close; make sure your /dev/sound/* devices are rw for your user.

• 3 weeks later...

I put this thing down for too long again...

today, I tried to copy or move things from /dev/sound/ to /dev/dsp/ and discovered that despite being supervisor, that permission was denied (?!?!?):

cp: cannot create regular file '/dev/dsp/audio': Permission denied

cp: cannot create regular file '/dev/dsp/dsp': Permission denied

cp: cannot create regular file '/dev/dsp/mixer': Permission denied

cp: cannot open 'sequencer' for reading: No such device

cp: cannot open 'sequencer2' for reading: No such device

that failing, I got rid of /dev/dsp/ and did ln -s /dev/sound/dsp /dev/dsp, and it created some thing called /dev/@dsp. I tried various multimedia sound programs, none of them crashed, but none of them had any sound. Aumix shows that the volumes are not muted.

Every one of the checks that james listed a few posts ago were identical, except of course that /dev/sound has the files instead of /dev/dsp.

I guess that if the programs want /dev/dsp/ they won't take a link.

Again: do not try to copy any devices (basically, any 'file' in the /dev/ directory).

Please do a

ll /dev/sound

so that we know your current status.

You can create a link, but if it points to nothingness, there's no sense. Sure, it may satisfy the programs, but that's not good enough.

"ll /dev/sound" does not seem to display links,

it prints

"total 0

crw------- 1 (user) audio 14, 4 Dec 31 1969 audio

crw------- 1 (user) audio 14, 3 Dec 31 1969 dsp

crw------- 1 (user) audio 14, 0 Dec 31 1969 mixer

crw------- 1 (user) audio 14, 1 Dec 31 1969 sequencer

crw------- 1 (user) audio 14, 8 Dec 31 1969 sequencer2"

"ll /dev/dsp" prints

"total 0".

when I printed "(user)" it really has my non-root account name.

This looks like a normal verbose file list, except for the "total 0"

and the fact that the time looks messed up.

Furthermore, I am not sure what the parameters, "14, 4" are for.

If this is supposed to list links, there must not be any.

Is "ln -s /dev/sound/dsp /dev/dsp" supposed to create a link,

because it did not appear to work?

The real question is, if my visible files look okay, could there be anything in the kernel that is scrambled from installing under the "pnp os" bios mistake?

I get this:

ls -l /dev/sound

total 0

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 14 Jan 1 1970 admmidi

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 12 Jan 1 1970 adsp

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 13 Jan 1 1970 amidi

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 9 Jan 1 1970 dmmidi

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 3 Jan 1 1970 dsp

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 19 Jan 28 07:49 dsp1

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 2 Jan 1 1970 midi

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 0 Jan 1 1970 mixer

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 16 Jan 28 07:49 mixer1

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 1 Jan 1 1970 sequencer

crw------- 1 robert audio 14, 8 Jan 1 1970 sequencer2

ls -l /dev/dsp

lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 14 Jan 28 2004 /dev/dsp -> /dev/sound/dsp

That last one is a link; in your case it said: total 0, which means that /dev/dsp is a dir. This is wrong. So please do, as root:

rmdir /dev/dsp

ln -s /dev/sound/dsp /dev/dsp

Then try again.

Note: having all the stuff in /dev/sound is good, if you don't have it, there's a problem.

Don't worry about the ownership, this is good, and the dates are afaics related to the time keeping in unix, just set to the earliest time...

The numbers refer to the device type (device node), don't worry about those either.

Try alsamixer if playing with aumix doesn t work:

alsamixer

or

alsamixergui

(urmpi alsamixer alsamixergui

if the above commands don't work)

I fixed the link, now /dev/dsp points to /dev/sound/dsp.

I only have those 5 things in /dev/sound; I don't know where to find the other ones.

I tried looking for it under "install software packages" but things like "amidi" and "dsp1" yielded nothing. I did install "SDL Mixer" which wasn't there before, but when I scoured my system for changes, I found some "include" files in "usr" for SDL mixer and nothing in /dev/.

...is my hardware busted if I only get those few things in /dev/sound?

Sorry, failed to mention: I have a 5.1 channel soundcard, with stereo cards you don't get all that other stuff.

The 5 things you have, IIRC, are quite correct.

Can't check at the moment, since even my headless server has a 5.1 card (put the sblive5.1 from my machine in the server, and an audigy2 in my machine..).