laptops and mandrake.

truekaiser

Toshiba 8100 800Mhz worked great with MDK9.2. Other than ACPI, everything worked. I did have to use the ltmodem drivers for the modem though.

I'm now running a Toshiba 9100, and it seems to work pretty good, but I need to find out how to get the thing to not wait for 2 minutes or so to get a DHCP lease for the built in Ethernet when I'm just running wireless.

Scott

I got a Sony Vaio PIII with 32 Mb Ram at 300 Mhz working with Mandrake 8.0. Mounting the CDROM was always a pain.

I have the same one with 128MB of ram and your so right about the cdrom, what a POS. I got the drive to work perfectly in mdk9.0 however with your limited ram 9.0 might be a little much. Ironically, the cd drive gave mdk 9.1 and 9.2 fits. Did hard drive installs of both and every time i plugged in the cd drive the entire system would lock hard and write about 80 lines of garbage in /etc/modules.conf.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jglen490

I have an IBM TP365XD (P120/72MB/3.1GB) that I have used with MDK 8.2, 9.1, and now 9.2. With each release MDK has become more stable, though certainly never fast :zzz: !!

A PII or a PIII should be no problem, unless the specific machine has some strange hardware. Try Linux On Laptops for some good info.

hmm thanks for all the informations so far. though i have to report some stuff. i don't realy have a credit card and that rules out places like pricewatch. the only one with cridit card in this house is too parinoid to use it at all on internet only sites. so that limits me to brick and mortor stores. so i found a couple of new candates.

there both from best buy but there the cheapest they have.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=...goryId=cat01174

even though it is a emachine i do like the wide screen. the intel graphics chipset kind of worrys me cause i have read that linux and intel intergrated graphics don't mix to well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...goryId=cat01174

this is there cheapest laptop

Edited by truekaiser

If you want to test mandrake compatibility with certain laptops, just go to http://www.pclinuxonline.com and download the preview iso of PCLinuxOS. It's basically a livecd version of mandrake + Texstar's improvement. Since it boots up from the cd without installing anything on the hd, you can use it to check compatibility of certain hardware with mandrake.

BTW, your first link doesn't work for me since I think the link is linked to the cookie installed in your browser, can you tell me the manufacturer and model number so that I can check it out? Anyway, intel graphics should work with linux, just don't expect any mindblowing (if working) 3d graphics.