Uprgading to 9.2

Guest timelord

Guest timelord

I have a 9.1 power pack, and I'm working on downloading the 9.2 ISOs (Can't afford another power pack this time around!). Looking for advice. Should I do an upgrade or a clean install? Or, should I keep using 9.1 and wait for 10.0?

HI,

I've upgraded my pc at home yesterday night from 9.1 to 9.2

I've updated 9.2 just after: no problem to connect to the right mirror.

Seems correct so far,didn't tested everything yet.

Just I had to remove nVidia driver editing /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 if I wanted to run X.

Didn't reinstalled the nVidia driver yet.

No more problem with my Sagem 800 USB modem as I had with the cooker (rc2: the final is not the same as the rc2 as far as this modem is concerned)

No problem with the menus.

As I had the kernel sources before, they were automatically updated when I updated 9.2 after install.

More information later if I have trouble.

roland

True upgrade were not good in the past.

How to be sure upgrade is not good this time if we don't try ?

That's a great feature after all if it works.

So let's see but I'm ready to make a fresh install if I can't fix the upgrade.

No fix needed so far for me except the nVidia thing but I didn't run my upgraded 9.2 enough yet to have an opinion.

roland

Guest timelord

I have successfully installed 9.2. I decided to do a clean upgrade, because I had been fooling around and scrambled some stuff anyway. But it is up and running, and I am able to dual boot with my Suse distro using Grub.

No problem with my 9.1->9.2 upgrade so far.

Great !

Well I don't have much fancy things in my box but they all work fine.

I think being able to upgrade from version to version a little a la debian would be a cool feature.

Does somebody know if Mandrake has specially worked on the upgrade this time ?

roland

In my opinion, the less non-Mandrake rpm's you add to your system, the more likely an upgrade will work. Unfortunately, that includes texstar as non-Mandrake rpm's!!

Upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2 is a more difficult issue because of the large number of fixes that must be downloaded and installed with 9.2. At one end, if you have highly customised and well-working 9.1, particularly with third-party additions, then maybe you should give 9.2 a pass. At the other are the improvements in hardware detection and newer versions of some software in 9.2. If you decide to go with 9.2, the first thing you should do after you install it is to go directly to a download mirror and get and install the updates so you won't even see the reason for them. Doing it this way means that you do need to pay closer attention to what you are installing so you don't waste time downloading unnecessary updates. I always lean toward clean installs preserving the /home directory but others have successfully done upgrades. As with most things the final choice is up to you.

Counterspy

I always lean toward clean installs preserving the /home

may i ask how i go about installing 9.2 but preserve my /home ?

i currently have red hat 9.0 installed and will soon be installing mandrake 9.2, so i am interested in how to get rid of red hat 9.0 without loosing my files in the /home but still do a clean install of mandrake 9.2

thanks.

/home needs to be in its own partition. So if it isn't, make a partition and move your /home data there. In a mandrake install, an option is offered not to format /home.

In my opinion, the less non-Mandrake rpm's you add to your system, the more likely an upgrade will work. Unfortunately, that includes texstar as non-Mandrake rpm's!!

You must be right: I have only Mandrake RPMs plus a few proprietary one from here (thank you MUB :) )

So perhaps now we have to say that upgrade is correct unless you have non Mandrake RPMs ?

That's still better than to say that upgrade is just crap as it was before.

At least for me it's true but that's just me, my installed software, my hardware and so on.

I personnaly wish a lot of people reconsider upgrading again just to be sure it's now usable.

IMO if Linux/Mandrake is to spread, notably if more boxs are sold with Linux/Mandrake preinstalled, the upgrade MUST work. Because Linux is improving very fast and any config need to be upgraded at least once a year.

By the way, here are the little trouble I had with my 9.1->9.2 upgraded box:

- the nVidia driver was no good any more, I had to remove the nVidia driver in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, puting "nv" instead of "nvidia" as driver: easy, I knew I would have to do that,

- when it was time to reinstall the nVidia driver, it didn't compile at first. I noticed that it installed a 2.4.22-10 kernel but a 2.4.22.21 kernel sources ????. Little bug, easy fixed, I've installed the 2.4.22.21 kernel, retry and bingo.

Nothing else, really :thumbs: B)

roland

You could always use the option talked about here to upgrade:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...wtopic=8114&hl=

Except now, you wouldn't have to use Cooker. Just

urpmi.removemedia -a

urpmi.addmedia <<each disk you have or internet source>>

urpmi.update -a

urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto

urpmi kernel

I had no problems upgrading this way, neither did several others.