New member, and new Linux user!

Guest Kaladon

Guest Kaladon

Well im just waiting on mandrake to send me my 9.0 boxed version, then i can continue to live in peace away from M$. I just wanted to introduce myself and state im going full throtle... No windows partition.

I hope to get to know everyone soon. If you have any advice to a new user, point me in the right direction.

P.s Im not afraid to learn. :D

*tick tock tick tock* couple more days!

Awesome! I hear music in the background.

Hmmmm.....Queen.... "....Another one (Windows station) bites the dust!" :)

Congratulations on your liberation. Welcome to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. :)

P.s Im not afraid to learn.  :D

Excellent. And learn you will. Go for the shell! :)

Edit:

Don't forget to get counted and count your machine. :)

http://counter.li.org/

I hope that my website will help you out in times of trouble. :)

http://mdkxp.by-a.com/

I'm usually on IRC and I'm available on most major IM protocols, as well as email.

I don't post on this board that much anymore though. But I recommend you stick around here. :) Good people, good knowledge, good times.

Welcome to the world of Linux. Advice - start slow and work your way up. There is a lot to learn and some of it will be fun and some of it will be very frustrating. But in the end it is all worth it.

Learn the command line. Oh, and write down everything you do. You never know when you will be playing with something and need to go back and undo it. Write down everything!!!!!

Awesome! I hear music in the background.

Hmmmm.....Queen.... "....Another one (Windows station) bites the dust!" :)

Congratulations on your liberation. Welcome to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. :)

P.s Im not afraid to learn.  :D

Excellent. And learn you will. Go for the shell! :)

Edit:

Don't forget to get counted and count your machine. :)

http://counter.li.org/

Hey I dont call windows on a computer a "work station", more like a "crash station" :lol:

Oh and they don't need any help from linux to "bite the dust", they die easily enough already, it's just that people keep trying to ressurect them.

Oh and hi new guy!

May your stay be enjoyable.

Welcome aboard. Learning the command line is very useful as it is very powerful. More powerful then the gui. You will be amazed of all the things Linux can do. I am constantly amazed by it and it is exciting to use. I think you'll find this messege board and DOlson's website to be a good wealth of knowledge.

My suggestion is to have at least one machine that you can hook up to the internet without the Linux box. That way you will have access to the net through that machine in case you have problems...

I also suggest an external serial modem unless you currently have a cable modem. "win"modems are junk.

Guest Kaladon

well thanks for the nice welcome... im stuck because im short on money and dont really want to get a second drive for linux... but until i get linux all working and have few problems , im worried about not having a functional machine if i do away with windozes from the start...

ohh well ill decide when i get 9.0 in the mail.

The beauty of a Mandrake installation is that you can leave Windows untouched during your install process.

Don't have more than one partition on your HD? No biggie. :) Mandrake will ask you how much of your drive you want to leave for Windows, "non-destructively" split the drive into the appropriate paritions and set up the boot loader with a dual boot between Windows and Linux. Priceless and painless. :)

Mandrake's installation process is a beautiful thing. 8)

You might want to let it go the dual boot route the first time around just in the unlikely event that Mandrake has trouble with a piece of hardware in your system.

Just don't do the automatic software update at the end of the installation process. hehe After you're installed go to the Mandrake Control Center > Software > Software Sources and make sure it has a valid address in the remote software source. Once that is set then you can do the software update.

Another thing; during the mouse config step of the installation if the mouse starts acting squirrelly just give it a moment to settle down. It will pass, the mouse will work and you can proceed with the installation. :)

But, hopefully those will be corrected by the time the boxed set ships. They are extremely minor but for a new user could present a bit of concern. Especially the software update as when it happened to me my system hung for a long time while looking for a bogus update site. I finally just hit the reset button. hehe