CD burning too slow.

Pepse

OK, I am not sure what the problem is but I have been having a bad time with the CD burning programs in 9.1. Over the weekend I have tried to burn an audio CD and it is taking HOURS to burn. It is a standard 50+ minute audio CD, with 12 tracks. Well after 4+ hours it is only to track 6. This is using XCDroast. I removed K3B because it badly conflicts with XCDroast and K3B just doen't want to work right with audio CD's. Data CD's and Pix are fine, but there are other things I can use for those 2 items. Being that I have 9.1 PowerPack I have installed most everything I can think of for CD burning. CDRDAO, CDRTAO, etc., etc. The burner is an LG 24X10X40. I have a Pentium 3 CPU 600mhz, 572 megs of SDRAM. The burner is on secondary master. I have an LG 16X DVDrom/40X CDrom on primary slave. Any ideas why it is so slow??

Later. Pepse.

I have a upgraded 9.1 at home (soon going 9.2) and k3b runs fine, even with audio CD.

On the contrary I had trouble with XCDRoast.

For k3b better put both the CD and CD Writer as scsii.

They are defined 2 time in the /etc/fstab, one the way mandrake do, the other the way k3b do. I've let Supermount only for the first definition (Madrake's) no problem, no conflict so far.

roland

this might be stating the obvious, but since you didn't mention it..........

do you have xcdroast (or k3b, or whatever burning program you use) set to burn at the proper speed of your burning drive? i've found that with both xcdroast & k3b you have to manually set the speeds. they default the lowest possible burn speeds, unless you change them. i forget exactly where you do that (i'm at work) but for xcdroast, it's the setup button on the first screen, then look for your cdrom drives & the corresponding speed setting. same thing sorta for k3b.

also, what speed are the cd's you are using rated at? that can limit burning speeds.

just some thoughts off the top of me head........

Chris

My first instinct was exactly what chriz z said.

My burning apps keeping going back to 1x everytime I start it up and I have to keep changing the setting to 48x.

anyway, lets rule out the obvious first.

My second instinct is --- roland is right, if your trying to copy from cd to cd, you need to enable scsi emulation for it to work.