Anyone here running ML9.2 a NForce 2 motherboard

ral

Not yet.. let me backup my nicely working 9.1 into cdrws first, then I'll install 9.2 and tell you how it feels. (now that I have the update cd for mandrake 9.2 in my hands).

BTW, why don't you try texstar's live cd? It has mandrake 9.2 corebase but it preinstall nvidia driver, java, nforce driver, ati drivers, and all other stuffs. If it works for your computer, then mandrake 9.2 will work for you after a little bit of tweaking.

Using a Shuttle nforce2 board, and the only problem I have had with it is getting the LAN connection to work, although I had this problem in 9.1 as well. I finally gave up and disabled it in the bios, and added a pci card which works fine. Otherwise, there are no problems with the nforce2!

Capn

I have it running perfectly here on an ABIT NF7-S board, including the onboard ethernet. Just make sure you download the kernel-source RPM from a 'main' mirror before you install, so you can compile the driver if like me, you need the drivers to access the internet. Mandrake 9.2 will configure the ALSA drivers for the onboard sound, and they work better than nvaudio unless you need digital output.

Get the tarball to install from, that way you can just install the parts you need (if like me you don't need the audio driver for example).

so you can compile the driver if like me

Somehow, this sounds like its going to be difficult :(

Nah.. I have compiled the source rpms three times after each upgrade of Mandrake 9.1 kernel. All I have to do is make sure that the kernel source is installed, then type this command as root.

rpm --rebuild nforce.src.rpm (note that I forgot the exact name of the file, but you get the idea).

Then after a couple of minutes of compiling, then check the output, it should have something like

writing to /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/ something something

Go to that directory (usually /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586) and you will find the recompiled driver rpms. Just urpmi those rpms, reconfigure your ethernet connection using drakconnect (the driver module for ethernet should be named nvnet), and voila.. you got ethernet connection.

For built in sound, the alsa driver (snd-intel) should work so you don't even need nvaudio.

If you have any problem, you know where to ask :)