I installed Mandrake 9.2

Darkelve

With update, while it doesn't have any problem generally, have quite a few niggles. Like missing beautiful lilo screen, some kde packages are scattered (since 9.2 split the kde packages even more), have to delete the urpmi database to remove traces of old sources, etc. However, I find that 9.1 + texstar updated to 9.2 doesn't have any show-stopping bugs (with exception of the default mandrake 9.2 kernel that will simply hang my laptop if acpi is turned on). Because of that bug, I actually updated everything but still keep the old 2.4.21-25mdk kernel until the updated kernel is released. Of course, I prefer to clean install whenever possible.

Also, when you go through package selection, let's say you select "Gaming station" you know how many of the 50 or so games that come on the CD's are installed? 3, just 3.

???

I don't get it, I didn't install any game specifically, but I have the whole bunch of them, almost all.

From Armagetron to Tuxracer to FrozenBubble etcetc...

Are you sure there is nothing wrong with your iso's/cd-r discs???

interesting, next time I do a re-install, I'll be sure toNOT check the box for game station and see what happens. No, there's nothing wrong with my CD's.

VeeDubb, I did check the gamestation box, see the install stuff on my site, those are screenshots from the installation I now use; checked all boxes on the left, only some on the right, and I got loads of games.

Didn't individually pick any games later.

Next time you install, check the gamestation tickbox, then go in to individual package selection and just see which games it has selected for installation; (more or less) all top ones should be there, none of the lower ones (tree view..).

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, did a clean install (like before) on an old compaq (PII350 256MBram, not bad) that I got for 30euro (told you, really not bad) from work (LG drive, didn't notice/realise, until it was dead. As if I don't have enough to do on the weekend...).

And guess what, I ticked all boxed of all major groups. Didn't even get xmms. No mplayer, no xine, 2 sports games and armagetron, frozen bubble and one other game.

Loads of things just not there.

And it really wasn't as if it took a shortcut, the application install part took over 1 hour....

So there is something fishy indeed...

In the 9.x series of Mandrake, I learned to always pick my own packages during installation. I found out that just picking the major boxes doesn't install the packages that I deem "required" such as xmms, mplayer, mc, kate, kppp, etc.

BTW, xine is may not be installed, but the underlying libraries are. The front end is totem instead of xine's own.

my first mandrake was 7.0. 7.0 seemed alot like red hat something or other (back when they used ncurses). i then went to 8.0 and kept going. i installed 9.2 (did the upgrade option). 9.2 had to be the easiest install i have ever seen. only lycoris might give the simplicity any competition. 9.2 installed itself. when i went to reboot, i had no X at first. no big. pull up BitchX, and go to #mandrake (didnt know about #musb). all i had to do was edit XFree86Config to contain "nv" instead of "nvidia". from there it was a breeze. as far as picking packages, i gotta learn not to pick so many :wall: . i litterally select everything. i dont select the box thats "supposed" to select everything in that catagory, i open up that box and one by one make sure everything IS selected (ended up with way to much international support :wall: ). i think mandrake has the right idea. the upgrade option DOES need to be ironed out alot however.