Scanner Problems, out of the blue!

hugerobot

My scanner was working fine, But I just rebooted, and now suddenly it is not..

Here is what I see:

[root@homepc sane.d]# sane-find-scanner

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that

# you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a5, product=0x20b0) at /dev/usb/scanner0

# Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by

# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be

# detected by this program.

[root@homepc sane.d]# scanimage -L

device `snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0' is a Acer FlatbedScanner22 flatbed scanner

When I run xsane as root (against all warnings it gives me) I see this:

[root@homepc sane.d]# xsane

[snapscan] Cannot open firmware file /path/to/your/firmware/file.bin.

[snapscan] Edit the firmware file entry in snapscan.conf.

I have no idea what this firmare bin file would be.. I check the vendor's site for drivers, and its a windows install exe file. I checked my windows 2000 installation for bin files, and found nothing that would be for the scanner.

When I run xsane as me, I get a dialog box that says no 'scanning for devices', and then, it changes to 'no devices available'.

I am running sane-backends-1.0.9

and xsane-0.89

and Mandrake 9

Help!!!

Yes, I compiled them myself from source tar.gz's. I downloaded the newest versions of xsane and sane-backends.

Like I said, it was working. Right after I finished compiling xsane, it worked, and I was scanning images.

Now xsane doesnt work, but as you can see from my original post, it appears that the system sees the scanner just fine.

As for bin files, I have scanned my entire harddrive for bin files, (nt and linux filesystems) and have not found anything that would be a firmware file for my scanner. The only bin files I have existed in other program file folders (Opera, AVG virus scanner, and Black and White)

The only thing that has changed since when it was working and now, is the fact that I rebooted.

Any other ideas?

Ok,

I got it fixed....

I have no idea why it worked before, because what I needed to do to fix it was something that I never did last time...

But it works now, and I thought I should share what I did so the next guy doesnt have the same problem....

First, I removed everything on my computer that had to do with SANE, XSANE, and SnapScan.

Then I re-installed, SANE Backends 1.0.9, and XSANE 0.89. But I still had exactly the same problem I described in my first post.

So I went to my Scanner software CD and unfortunately there were 10 BIN files to choose from, and each time I tried one, XSANE would hang, and I couldnt kill it. I'd end up having to wait it out, power off the scanner, and sometimes even log off and back in. I also rebooted a few times, just to be sure.

It took me forever trying to figure out the right bin file, but, I went to http://snapscan.sourceforge.net, and looked up my printer, and the bin file I needed was listed. I added it to the firmware line in snapscan.conf and it works.

The weird thing is, the last time my scanner worked I never did anything with bin files or firmware or anything.

But, it works now... and I am happy.

Rob

Yes I did go to that site, in fact, I really should give credit where credit is due....Thanks for your help.

I took some of the most crucial steps based on your post, those being:

1. remove everything that has to do with sane and rebuild new versions

2. get the bin file from the mfg cd...

My only problem was finding the right bin file. Like I said, I had about 10 to choose from, and each one was like its own layer of hell.

Once I found the right file, it was important that I rebooted, edited snapscan.conf, and then tried it. I had tried the right bin file previously, but it was after I had already tried the wrong one and mucked it all up...rebooting cleared out whatever was wrong, and it worked just like old times...

Thanks for your help!

Rob

• 1 month later...

well just as an after note - this is what i did to get my scanner to work in mdk 9

snapscan.conf:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# If not automatically found from above, then you may manually specify

# a device name.

# For USB devices, make sure that the name contains 'usb' somewhere, as in

# '/dev/usbscanner' or '/dev/usb/scanner0'. Do not use a link

# from /dev/scanner to your USB device.

# For SCSI, use the generic device (e.g. /dev/sg0 in Linux).

#/dev/sg0

/dev/usb/scanner0

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if

# firmware upload is needed by the scanner

firmware /etc/sane.d/U176V042.BIN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

************then i changed dll.conf:

dll.conf----------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-# enable the next line if you want to allow access through the network:

net

/dev/usb/scanner0

snapscan

and now it just worked with the original mdk 9.0 sane--no reinstalling or recompiling from tar.gz