USB problem

Zoltar

Hi, I am new to linux ans seeking for help.

I have a dual system - winXP and Mandrake 9.1

I also have Microsoft DSS80 usb audio. During install of Mandrake there were no problems finding everything I have, but the DSS80. I figured, ok, that is a Microsoft product, it is not supported on linux, fine. THe trouble is, I cannot start linux when this is plugged in.

I can use it with WinXP and also WinME, but when I start linux, it freezes during startup saying all the nice things the kernel is doing up until this line:

Finding module dependencies

Its dead.

No problems restarting unplugged. The moment I try to plug it in - linux freezes and only a hard boot works.

I figured there are 3 options:

1) This hardware is supported using the snd-usb-audio module and I doing something wrong on my way to make it work.

2) It is not supported, and should appear as unsupported (plugged in) device

3) A bug in the usb system with linux and no workaround.

Currently I plug it in and out when I switch OS, and tired of it.

Help would be appriciated.

Zoltar

I have a similar problem:

My Teledat usb 2ab (German USB ISDN device) works fine under Win98SE. But when I boot into linux after some seconds this device is completely hung. I mean, I can't telephone any more. I get a bip-bip-bip and the caller gets the same sound as if I just wouldn't answer the phone. If I want the telephone to work, I have to unplug the usb cable first. I don't even want to use the device in Linux as I also have DSL, but I use Windows as my answering machine :joker: and fax. so I'd like to leave the cable plugged in :-)

Who can help?

Ciao,

Peter Panic

Mandrake is usually good enough to detect hot-plug devices like this. Have you tried unplugging the device until linux finish booting, then plug in the device back and modprobe the driver. But just in case, check on other USB port. I once have similar problems of putting my usb mouse on the right usb port of my toshiba laptop. It causes a hangup automatically (conflict with the built in "USB" touchpad perhaps). I moved it to my right side ports and it works nicely along with my USB-ethernet adaptor.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the same kind of problem with a USB ADSL modem (ECI) with Mandrake 9.1.

I solved the problem by upgrading the motherboard BIOS (an AMI BIOS).

My motherboard : MSI KT3 Ultra (KT333 Chipset).

The BIOS that works : 5.70

Now I can boot on Linux with all my USB stuff without hanging. I just have to set up my modem now :-)

I hope this will help.

See U,

TOM.

I had the same problem with my usb SB Extigy.

With the system already loaded type in terminal "modprobe audio" and plug your soundcard in the computer, if it works you can add this command to your etc/rc.d/rc.local and at least you will not need to plug it in and out all the time, just turn it on and off.

Edited by william