Updates safe for 2008.1?

Trio3b

Preparing to perform updates on mdv2008.1 and want to make sure that a full update won't cause problems as this PC is loaded with my data.

This is an update of 2008.1 not an upgrade of 2008.1 to something newer.

Any issues I should be aware of?

Also, in the past, I just select updates for packages that are system/security related and usually do not update software that i don't use. Is individual safer/better than update all?

Thanks for any help

Edited by Trio3b

I'll be honest with you, the LAST MDV updater that worked 100% for me was 2007.1

ever since they have just blown up, to the point that when i setup 2009 I had "/" for the OS another partition"/home" and a 3rd part "/swap" so that I can just do a clean format and install while still keeping my mail nookmarks etc.

j

That happened to me too, and I think there was some things that were not updated after that, I remembered when I had to type urpmi --auto-update so it will update the repositories and then update the applications again because some important applications were not letting me access the mandy desktop.

So my advice, make sure your database is up-to-date first

Preparing to perform updates on mdv2008.1 and want to make sure that a full update won't cause problems as this PC is loaded with my data.

My advice is to backup your data. Anything can go wrong at anytime (not just with updates) hardware failure, power outage etc. If this data is of real importance you should back it up!.

My advice is to backup your data. Anything can go wrong at anytime (not just with updates) hardware failure, power outage etc. If this data is of real importance you should back it up!.

Well, /home is on a different partition and I am mostly backed up onto a second HD via grsync/rsync as well as on discs.

As an aside, I am leary of using drakbackup as it has filled /var to the point of non-booting if you're not careful (anyone know if this has been fixed with a warning?), but I've never restored from drakbackup. How does it work?

1.Can the compressed drakbackup file be placed on another partition, harddrive?

2. If there is a catastrophic failure and you reinstall MDV fresh, including a new /home partition, can you invoke the drakbackup from a file that was created by the now non-existent user? I notice drakbackup names the files "backup_base_user_username". Would the newly installed user (on a reinstall or newly created user) have to have the same name as the original backup file?

Having said all this, I have never had updates bork my system, but that was with 10.2. Just being cautious.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Trio3b