looking for a MakeCD tutorial

scoopy

Anyone know of any good easy tutorials on how to make Mandrake ISO's.

I duplicated the tree and replaced some files and then used this command:

[root@localhost misc]# sh MakeCD --discsize 734000000 -t /home/scoopy -a -s /home/scoopy/Mandrake_9.3/

which fails to give me CD1. --- CD 2 and CD 3 look like they should be OK, and I get a small 4th CD.

The last errors show the likely cause of me not getting the CD1 iso:

REJECTED master disc 1 chkauth-0.3-0.1.92mdk.noarch (not selected)
REJECTED master disc 1 drakfirsttime-0.92-4.2.92mdk.noarch (not selected)
REJECTED master disc 1 gnome-pilot-conduits-2.0.10-1.1.92mdk.i586 (not selected)
REJECTED master disc 1 mailman-2.1.2-9.2.92mdk.i586 (not selected)
REJECTED master disc 1 ncftp-3.1.6-0.1.92mdk.i586 (not selected)

The overload (CD4) is most likely cause I included kernel-source... and yes, I don't know what I am doing ;)

UPDATE:

I seem to have taken care of those ending errors and I got the hdlists to update to the rpms I want included (using genhdlist script), but I still am not getting MakeCD to produce the first ISO.

Still trying things and looking for any tips.

If you ever do get this all figured out, how about writing a tutorial for the rest of us?

Also, in order to accomplish this, how did you begin? Did you have to download the entire mandrake install tree onto your hard drive?

Woo Hoo !

We got a ISO for CD1 and it actually resembles a real working model. Don't know how good it really is yet, but it is 677.7 MB and includes basically the same stuff as a regularly issued MDK CD1, except with kernel-sources, and all the updated rpms, including today's updated apache2 files. Can't wait to find someplace to see if this actually installs.

Maybe I can do a tut sometime, but basically I ftp'd to a cooker site and copied most of their stuff under /mandrake/9.2/i586 except for the 2.4 gig RPM folder. I copied the rpms I needed from my 9.2 "torrent" disc and replaced files with the updates and added the kernel-source package.

Don't know why it wasn't working before... maybe there was a new file on cooker today, cause I redid a few files from there.

from terminal:

[root@localhost misc]# gendistrib --distrib ../../Mandrake_9.3/

&

[root@localhost misc]# sh MakeCD --discsize 734000000 -t /home/scoopy -a /home/scoopy/Mandrake_9.3/

Good news/Bad news:

It boots (and autorun stuff works in windows) but I can't get past stage 2. It is freezing while trying to load mdkinst_stage2.bz2 as a ramdisk.

Now I see another script in that misc folder that is called "make_mdkinst_stage2" I guess I should have run that before building the new ISO?

Hey scoopy,

I'm really interested in your work because of the 2.4 issue.

A friend of mine just bought a new computer, and NO kernel 2.4 (mandrake or debian, even with noapic, noacpi) wants to boot !

I installed a 2.2 debian, wnad tried a 2.6 wich boots.

I would love to have a Mandrake install booting with 2.6.

Do you think it is doable ?

I think it is doable. Seems like almost anything is with Linux.

We just gotta figure out what image the cd is booting from during stage 1 of the install... the temp kernel in the ramdisk. Then we could just replace the kernel files with 2.6 versions and should be good to go.

Maybe too, what I saw was just a text file showing up from some package list I did not change ??? My ISO did install the 2.4.22-21 kernel instead of what 9.2 had.