How do we back up root directory?

Gatch

I am using Mandrake 8.2 as a server in a classroom environment with approximately 20 PC’s and Mac’s networked to it. I have installed Mandrake 8.2 as a file server, intranet web server, and mail server. The operating system is working very well in this application. I have been able to back up all of the partitions except for hda1, the root partition. We have tried to copy the partition in mc and using the cp command, but have not been able to copy it back to hda1 after a test crash. We have tried to copy it back in rescue but it has not worked. When I copied the files, I copied them to a partition hda7 into a backup directory.

Could you please show me keystroke by keystroke how to backup hda1, my root directory, and how to recopy it back to partition hda1 in the event of a severe crash that would make the OS unbootable. Is there a Linux program available that will do this? As it stands now we must reinstall the OS in the event of a major crash. Thank you for your help.

You could use a distro like Knoppix thats boots from a CD and then copy the hda1 partition. A better solution might be to use Partimage to make images of all your partitions which can simply be pasted back on to a formated drive. I think there is a bootable CD version of that available.

http://www.partimage.org/

Finally if your machine as the required hardware you could consider RAID. I takes longer to set up and is more expensive but would eb quicker to restore from.

i didnt even know we could do this in linux until a few months ago. there are a couple ways to do this: a) MCC >> System >> Backup B) command line. the linux documentation project has a nice howto on this. a rather long howto. you can back up a single file, or the entire system in linux. unlike windows.

Edited by linux_learner

• 2 months later...

Speaking of backup.. Id like to do a full system back up so that way if something goes wrong i have all my files and mysql and config file's.. So i was looking at the webadmin page and there is a backup link to do backups and other important things. my main worrie is mysql but i also noticed there is a dump program in the mysql page.. is this what i should use.. id like to have a backup schem for every friday or sunday.. just incase..