Trouble with XFree86

Guest DeepPhreeze

Guest DeepPhreeze

I'm not sure if the problem is with XFree86, but whenever I try to start a GUI on Mandrake, it freezes partway through. It gets to the part where it's loading menu items, then it just stops. The mouse still moves, and every 30 seconds the hard-drive clicks a bit, but other than that there's no signs of life. I've tried 3 re-installs, and my hardware matches the reqs perfectly. Please help!

Guest DeepPhreeze

It happens when I start both KDE and Gnome. Haven't tried IceWM or the others, but I know they'll freeze too. I will try CTRL-ALT-F1, hadn't heard of that one before. In Gnome it freezes when loading the Window Manager, and in KDE it freezes when loading the panel. I told Mandrake to automatically start X on boot.

assuming you're using lilo....when the bootscreen appears, press Esc, then type;

linux 3

and hit Enter. This will take you to init 3 (console mode). Hopefully the dm/X won't start. If they do, try

Ctrl>Alt>Backspace

or

Ctrl>Alt>F2

then, su to root;

root <Enter>

roots_password <Enter> (you won't see anything when typing the password)

then;

chkconfig dm off <Enter>

service dm stop <Enter>

login as a user and do

startx <Enter>

what, if any are the errors?

Guest DeepPhreeze

And of course, if I knew what the problem was I wouldn't be using Windows now, would I? :wink: I'll try to get to that console thingy and report the errors now...

Guest DeepPhreeze

Alright, I tried the linux 3 thingy. The only problem is, it doesn't report any errors. In fact, a console doesn't even pop up at all. Should I try running chkconfig dm without turning it off? I'll try that, but it probably won't work...

Guest DeepPhreeze

It's like this. I start Mandrake. It starts loading KDE or Gnome. For KDE, it stops loading when loading "Panel". For Gnome, it stops loading at "Window Manager". No consoles pop up. No errors are reported. I can't get any console to appear. Even after stopping the services and enabling error logging, nothing. I am forced to physically turn the computer OFF. I need to get onto the Gnome or KDE desktop, or I will absolutely go nuts!

Could it be that you have updated your Mandrake, but your users didn't get the same ID?

It sounds more like a problem with permissions on the config files of gnome and kde (no permission to read/write)...

Please follow the above steps, ctrl-alt-F1 to go to the console (takes a second or so to switch), logon (text mode) as root etcetc...

My advice/steps:

don't log on when the graphical loginmanager shows.

hit ctrl-alt-F1

(text mode)

login as 'root', plus password

do the command:

ll /home

if at that point you don't see the owner, group and dir name the same on each line, you have found the problem.

if not, do:

telinit 3 (the system tells you the dm is stopped)

then (ctrl-)alt-F2

login with your regular username and password

do:

startx

and tell us the output of that.

You could also (instead of the startx command, or after it locks by hitting ctrl-alt-backspace) try:

on the root-console (alt-F1): urpmi icewm (to install the icewm windowmanager, unless it is already installed), and then on the user console (alt-F2):

X :0 &

(ctrl-alt-F2 to come back to text console)

export DISPLAY=:0

icewm &

ctrl-alt-F7 to see if it starts.

BTW no you don't have to turn the machine off with the button, just go to the console (as above, ctrl-alt-F1), logon as root, and do

shutdown -r now (for reboot)

or

shutdown -h now (to halt)

If the xserver hangs, or nothing happens, you can terminate it with ctrl-alt-backspace. No hard reset necessary, usually.

Guest DeepPhreeze

The problem is, I didn't do any updates at all. There is no login screen. It goes to that little centered box showing what's loading, and stops on the said items. There are no permissions problems, as I have tried using root and a regular user. They always stop at the same spots. I can't get any console to appear whatsoever, except before loading KDE or Gnome, or IceWM, or anything else.