Mandrake Update hosed my system......twice.

Guest dernhelm

Guest dernhelm

So I have installed 9.2 twice now and each time have had the same problem.

If I run Mandrake Update to get the bugfixs for mplayer and Orbit2 Gnome and KDE

get totally destroyed. All icons are gone. No access to terminals. Most software disappears

from the k and gnome menus. I essentialy can only work from the command line in a virtual

terminal. I've tried rebooting, rebuilding the rpm database, stopping and starting x. Deleting

the user and creating a new one won't fix it, the root account for KDE & Gnome are screwed

also. After re-installing and running update again the same thing happened. I haven't tried

downloading the updated packages and installing manually yet, that will require reinstalling again, I'm just assuming DrakUpdate is the problem. This is a critical bug.

Is there an e-mail address at Mandrake where I should report this bug? This is the kind of thing

that could really screw them when the general release comes out.

You expect it to work?!? :lol:

Sorry, I know how frustrating this is. I have not switched my primary os to 9.2, because of all the issues. Go to the mirror and look for the updates folder. Inside, you'll find a 9.2 folder. Download the rpms that you use and install them. Or, you can do like I did and remove all the other software sources (by unticing them) and manually adding the mirror. Them in a terminal outside of x, use urpmi to auto update your system.

Other notes: updating manually might fix the problems

When I lost my programs, simply launching menudrake and saving brought it all back.

Guest dernhelm

Actually I did kind of expect it to work :( I've used Mandrake since 8.2 at home and am

typing this from 7.2 at work. I've never had a bad experience before. This release seems to

be a giant step backward for Mandrake ( a company that's on the ropes financially anyway). The stupid little stuff was bad enough- no frequently used programs section in KDE, no file manager in super user mode- they took all the coolest little features out of the kde desktop and left the user climbing through the control panel to set it back up like 9.1. Then this bug? Good lord !

This one is huge!

Anyway- here is the supposed fix (I'm at work so I won't be able to try it until later tonight).

As root in a console type # update-menus -v

then do the same as all users

then reboot.

This supposedly fixes the problem.

Hopefully installing updates in console ( rpm -Uvh package.rpm) won't cause the problem all over again.

Guest dernhelm

I looked all through the the K Control center but didn't see any option for getting

the frequently used programs section back. It's not in Look & Feel unless I missed it somehow.

Just to be clear: When you say that Gnome and KDE get destroyed, it sounds from your description that the menus are what are affected -- that is, you can run any apps you want, you just have to do it from the command line. If this is the case, check this recent thread for some potential solutions.

Yup what he said... happens to me every time I run any update.... I had been just restarting in failsafe and launching MenuDrake and doing a save... works like a charm everytime ;)

Hmmmm? :roll: :? :?: I just had a thought :P :idea: ...

when windows releases a sp......do I run out and download it? NooOOOOooo

when mandrake releases updates (anytime), do I run out and download them? NoooOOOOooo

If you're not going to let others be the test rats, and choose to be the test rats yourselves......*cough*

When mandrake releases an new version, do I run out and download it?....you betchya....am I a Club member? Never!...."so you got it for free?"....Yep!...

[i think to myself] It just crashes all the time!!!!! then I'll delete it.....it's no swet off my back....you get what you pay for.

"BUT!...I'm a Club member and I sure didn't get what I paid for?" It's nice to have faith in linux, but the only trustworthy distro's are Debian and Slackware. It's a shame....it really is! If you're a seasoned mandrake users and joined/or continue the Club to actually get something and not just support mandrake....I have no pitty for you....SORRY!

This happens every six months....just a new set of probs.....effecting a new set of users. Bye now :wink:

I agree with bvc, and I think it sums up what makes the Club a somewhat paradoxical thing. You pay and get some benefits, but you're also used as a lab rat (or test bunny, as we say here). If you just see the Club from a consumer viewpoint, it looks odd, and you get annoyed over bugs in what looks like and is called a final release. But the proper way to see it I think is as the kind of club where you all get together, share the fun, and all pitch in to keep it alive.

derxen