half of gnome menu gone after update

derxen

I updated gconf, gconf 2 and orbit last night (plus a few of the other bugfixes on Mandrake update), and now a large part of the gnome menu is gone, including all the pretty icons (just folder icons now). This happened before, when I installed icewm-gnome, and I 'solved' it then by removing icewm-gnome. Does anyone know how this happens and what to do about it?

derxen

The nearly exact thing happened to me yesterday, Derxen. Seeing that all that was left of my menu was the gnome part (the mdk-build menu had vanished), I assumed that something got a little wonky during an update, so I rebooted. Bad idea: Gnome got flaky, giving me errors trying to load the background and panel tasklist. To restore the menu, I reset the menu style in menudrake to show the full menu, and I had to do the same thing in menudrake as a user -- for some reason, the menu settings got all disjointed, so that my user menus were not using the system defaults. Doing this, for whatever reason, also seems to have corrected the gnome errors, and I don't have any explanation for that.

However, while that brought back the mandrake menus, it didn't bring them back the way they had previously been: Where the gnome menu once contained all the mandrake items (Amusements, Applications, etc), it now has a submenu for "Mandrake," and that submenu contains the additional items. So, I'm one level of menus further away from all those items than I used to be. At least I have menus, I guess, but I'd love to know how to really restore them.

Thanks. I just updated the system menu and it's back to normal. Weird bug that, I never came across it before.

I assumed that something got a little wonky during an update, so I rebooted. Bad idea: Gnome got flaky

Yeah, rebooting was my first reflex too, but I managed to control myself.

it didn't bring them back the way they had previously been: Where the gnome menu once contained all the mandrake items (Amusements, Applications, etc), it now has a submenu for "Mandrake," and that submenu contains the additional items.

Hmm. So it might still go wrong. I'll tell you what happened after starting up tomorrow.

derxen

Some success here! Scoopy's suggestion of rebuilding the menus in menudrake seems to work -- partly. It still results in gnome reporting errors when loading the background and tasklist (these are corrected by rebooting), but it does bring back the menus in "mandrake style" (ie, the original menu style, with the mdk menus included rather than linked as a submenu).