How to do Network install of 9.2?

fuzzylizard

To begin with, can someone point me towards a tutorial or article about how to do a full network install? I really want to install 9.2 and am tired of waiting for the end of the month. The only problem is that my computer does not have a floppy drive.

If you have no floppy AND no bootable CD drive then your in for a lot of work.

If this is the case then you MUST have a bootrom on your ethernet card ??

If you can boot from CD then you just put in Cd1, you don't need a floppy.

If you really have no floppy/bootable CD then you are going to need a second machine AND make a boot image (You need the diskless HOW-TO)

This really is quite involved!!!!

Is it a laptop ????

If its a desktop I'd probably change the MOBO if it doesn't have bootable CD support.... of flash the bios...

Or take out the disk .... etc.

If you can't boot from either a floppy or CD you really are in for a lot of work!!!!

All that is missing is a floppy drive. Everything else is there including a CD drive that is bootable.

It is a desktop computer with a bootable CD drive, a network card, and a working version of Mandrake 9.1. However, I am not a club member and am tired of waiting for the ISO's to be released, so I figured I would find another way of upgrading.

As far as I can tell, my two best solutions are to point urpmi at the cooker, or some other source, and do an upgrade that way. Although, I have a lot of tex rpms on my system and a lot of other software as well. Or, I do a network install. I just don't know how to do this though.

Any suggestions as to which is the best route to take?

I also have a sound card problem that I was hoping a fresh install would fix.

Or you could just wait. it's only a week.. From the reviews and my own experience, 9.2 is not that much different from 9.1. Since you have texstar's packages, you pretty much have a 9.1.5 so to speak..

While you are waiting, you may as well download the update packages & plf 9.2 and burn them to a cd. Since the kernel is one of the things need to be upgraded, you'll be thankful you have an update & plf cd ready so update is just an rpm -Fvh away instead of wasting time setting up internet connection and download the packages one by one. The mirrors will probably getting swamped by downloaders when the ISOs are released to the public.

Hmmm.... After reading this little news item on PCLO, I think I will wait

"76 new packages for 9.2, including new kernel"

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?n...rticle&sid=7912

Sounds like they jumped the gun a little bit with this release. Maybe I will just try and reinstall 9.1 to fix some of my problems. Until installing Tex's kde upgrades, it worked fine. (Just was really looking forward to 9.2. Hmm... I wonder how hard it is to install SuSE???)

I wonder if there is any chance that the download ISO's to be released next week will include all the updates and the new kernel? It makes sense to me.

I wonder if there is any chance that the download ISO's to be released next week will include all the updates and the new kernel? It makes sense to me.

Didn't I read that the .iso was sent to the cd makers to create the cds and packaging for the boxed set, and that was on oct 14th.

It could happen, but I kind of doubt that it will. Sad really. :cry:

This will put the hurt on dial-up users.

i think 9.1 had the same problem, with a lot of updates just after it was out.

did mandrake rushed out ?

do mandrake do a good job in keeping out bugs ?

Well, this is not so different from windows world, where there are daily updates for XP theses days !

I really think you'd better pay for a fast interenet connexion rather than pay for incomplete CD. And if you want to support mandrake, join the club !

Well.. the real updates is actually probably just a couple of lines of codes.. It's the repackaging the rpms that needed to be replaced that makes it huge.

Anyway, I think this is a good thing.. you see.. with the update cd, you get the kernel source for the updated kernel.. so you cannot complain that kernel-source is not there :)

Anyway, I think this is a good thing.. you see.. with the update cd, you get the kernel source for the updated kernel.. so you cannot complain that kernel-source is not there :)

hehe, true. I guess it's time to download all the updates. Plus, I guess I can wait a few more days for the release of the CD's. Will they be released through bittorrent, or will I have to fight with everyone else for the ftp servers?

So, will MandrakeUsers.org make the bittorrent ISO's available once Mandrake releases the ISO's to the public?