I'm gonna do it, you can't stop me now!

kilimanjaro

Ok I'm gonna do it! I am going to do a fresh install. I'm not sure if I will do 9.1 or 9.2 I would appreciate any advice on that subject.

The problem is that I need to back up a couple of gBs of data and I can't get my cd rw to work.

I have Eroaster, gcombust, Gnome-Toaster, and x-cd-roast. I have only had any of them work once, I think it was Eroaster.

I am going to do a search, but if anyone has any advice, lay it on me.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me and put up with my whinning.

kilimanjaro :twisted:

THe simplist way o say that data is to create an extra partition on you hard drive large anough to hold it, remmber that if you Bzip2 it, it will REALY shrink in size, then reinstall without killing that partition. Also, if you can get it down to about 2 gig, I can mail you a small harddrive to store it on while you re-install. I'll want some money to cover the shipping, but other than that, consider it a karma boost, not that I believe in karma, I just like to behave as though I did. Let me know.

If you are going to install from scrathc anyway you might as well go with 9.2 now. I have just got it installed and it seems to be running very nicely and little bit quicker than 9.1 did.

Back-up wise you could always leave your home directory intact when you re-install. That would save all your user settings and if your /home is big enough your data as well. Either that or you could try to use your CD-RW from the command line, the Linux Documentation project has a howto on the subject.

http://en.tldp.org/

My favorite is k3b. But you need to be running KDE and I know your running fluxbox. Some of those cd burning apps probably need gnome to run properly.

What desktops do you have working ? Guess we should pick the best burner app possible with what you have running. Is a kde or gnome possible with your machine? This may make it easier to get you burning your data.

Hello scoopy

I just got x-cd-roast to work. Boy, is it amazing how well things work if...

YOU ACTUALLY READ THE DIRECTIONS!!!!

Maybe I should do that more often.

My next task is to either find some place with high speed internet to down load or order the cds. I haven't checked, does anybody know how much they are?

Oh, I guess you're right. I do have kdebase installed, but I use k3b in IceWM.

[code}[root@omarserenity omar]# urpme kdebase-progs
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages will be removed (19 MB):
k3b-0.9-10mdk.i586 (due to missing kdebase)
kdeartwork-kde-classic-3.1.3-4mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied kdebase >= 3.1)
[/code]