Tried Knoppix (3.3) for 1st time,... very nice

Guest JaseP

I tried Knoppix for the first time. Version 3.3. I booted it up on my XPee laptop (Work requires XPee). I got the disk at my LUG meeting. All I can say is SWEET. This is the best way to introduce new users to Linux. It boots up a very functional, and well put together KDE desktop... and even lets you store info on a local drive if you had it formatted as a DOS drive (I didn't so wasn't able to try that feature out).

So DL your copy of Knoppix today or get it from a friend. Make copies. spread them around. The more people using Linux, the better. Once they are comfortable that Linux is user friendly, introduce them to your favorite distro. For $0.50 per copy (the price of the CD-R), it's a good way to spread Linux goodwill.

I downloaded it today and thinking of installing it on either my laptop or reg. pc. Has anyone done this yet and how is it as a permnant distro?

It use apt so I figure if I wanted to get gnome 2.4 all I would have to to is apt -get gnome? It is KDE based isnt' it?

FX

I just tried it out and its really rocking.

The HW detection was muich better than my 9.1 Cd's and practically everthing worked 'except my nvidia networking :-('

I also reinstalled 9.1 on a different disk and repeated that.

I'm halfway through trying desperately to get the alsa working full duplex.

I gave up on my own kernel... downloaded the source corresponding with the build of the rpm's and all I did was edit the Makefile extra version (to remove the custom string) and .... add support for HIMEM .of and K7. and thats it... unresolved damned symbols.

bah...