9.2 No Kernel Source?

pmpatrick

The title says it all. Just installed 9.2 which was a breeze. I think they really worked very hard to get the bugs out of the installer. Even the mouse doesn't freeze anymore. KDE is much faster/responsive and gnome flies. But I can't find the frickin kernel source on the cds making it impossible to install the nvidia drivers. I'm going to check the mirrors; they've got to make it available under the GPL. What a dumb move. Either that or I'm brain dead from fooling around with bittorrent.

Edit: The kernel source rpm is available on the mirrors; it's downloading at 200KB/sec. How do you guys feel about posting the network floppy for 9.2 to allow others to do a network install of 9.2 directly off the mirrors? At 200KB/sec it beats the pants off of bittorrent.

I don't think kernel sources are needed (to install nvidia drivers).

I followed the instructions from their page at:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-4496.html

and ran their script... then changed "nv" to nvidia" in the config and was good to go.

using normal mdk kernel maybe. anything higher and you need to have kernel sources

It would have been an even more awful catch 22 for me if I hadn't seen this on another forum somewhere and got the file before installing 9.2.

I have an nforce2 motherboard, and am using the onboard ethernet. I would not have been able to compile the driver for it without kernel-source, and unable to download it because I couldn't get on the net.

This omission is potentially critical for some of us....

The reason you didn't need kernel sources for 9.1 is because they had made the drivers (in an rpm) already for the default kernel. 9.2 has yet to have said drivers created by nvidia. Also, if you have any non-strandard kernel, it will need to compile it for that kernel.

Guest kuchwas
Already tried "urpmi kernel-source" and got no package found. I thought they may have renamed it which started me on my search and it ain't there.

Appears that as the 9.2 distro hits the mirrors, some stuff is removed and the server cron jobs don't update the hdlists that often. This is a time of great flux, so all the old habits will be off kilter as things change. That is the word from Experts and Cooker mail lists when I asked WTF with all the urpmi update failures and messages about installing an rpm that is in the list.

Was told to be patient for a few days as it stablilzes.

Ho Kay!

• 2 weeks later...