firewall problems

kilimanjaro

It seem that no matter what firewall I use I have problems. I have to disable my firewall to get gnutella to work right. when I try it with an active firewall it doesn't connect, and if I try to set up the firewall so it will work it causes something to happen so that I cannot even access the net with my firewall active. I have had this happen with shorewall, guarddog and firestarter. I uninstalled my firewall, and the iptables, and then reinstalled them. This seemed to work for a coup[le of times, but them back to the same problem gnutella cannot connect and if I try to fix it, it just shuts me off from the net.

I am also having another problem whcih may or may not be a security problem. I cannot access ftp sites. It will load for awhile and give me a black sceen and then it will stop doing anything. No writing, nothing. I can't download anything because there is nothing to download.

Any ideas?

Try this:

Do I need to forward a port on my firewall?

You don't need to forward any ports for gtk-gnutella to work, but it will perform much better if you do. If gtk-gnutella thinks you are firewalled, it will not show any "push" results since you wouldn't be able to download those anyway.

Even when people cannot connect directly to you, they can still download files from your node using a push request.

You can configure the port gtk-gnutella listens on. The setting "listen port" is located on the "Network settings" tab on the config page.

http://gtk-gnutella.sourceforge.net/index....?page=faq#gnet1

Came across this thread today and remembered your firewall problems:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=70807#70807

From reading that, I see why I am not familiar with this problem. Mandrake default is set to NO firewall. My firewall is set in my cable router and so I did not need to use another app for this and have not had to deal with this problem myself.

Hope you find an answer someplace.