New CD-RW Setup

MadHattr

Hey i just bought a new sony 32x cd-rw drive and have installed it in my computer the drive registers in my bios so it is installed correctly but it does not show up in /mnt and it isnt accessable through xcd-roast im running mandrake 9.0 on a asus motherboard with pentium 3 550 MHz 320 mb ram

So my question is how do i get linux to reconize it and have it work :)

CD-RW's have to be listed as scsi devices in Linux. The CDRW HOWTO can walk you through the process, or I believe that there is a way with the Mandrake Control Center. My writer is mounted as /mnt/cdrom and listed as /dev/scd0. I have a second reader that is listed as /mnt/cdrom2 and /dev/hdc. Finally, if you're using lilo, you need to add an entry to your append section. If this sounds like Greek, read the howto and I can also get more detailed. (It's more fun to set it up manually rather than using a GUI!)

Look under documentation in your Mandrake menu. It's called CD Writing HOWTO. There is a lot of technical stuff to look at, most of which will not apply, but it is all there. Be sure to note the explanation for using the ide-scsi driver. I think aloat of problems arise because of this driver not loading. You need to know which ide device your writer is. That is, ide1 master is hda, ide1 slave is hdb, ide2 master is hdc, and ide2 slave is hdd. This only applies to the loading of the ide-scsi driver. If your writer is the secondery slave, your append in lilo would read

"hdd=ide-scsi"

• 4 weeks later...

[(It's more fun to set it up manually rather than using a GUI)]

I wish it were more fun for me. Is there a way to do it with the GUI?

I couldn't even find the files listed in the howto. /etc/lilo/config

I would like to get my new burner going.

It's /etc/lilo.conf

Anyway.. just to make a good comparison.. here is an excerpt of my /etc/lilo.conf. I put my CDRW as secondary master (which is hdc) and my DVDROM as secondary slave (which is hdd). I want to make both of the devices to be viewable in cd writing software so I put them both as SCSI-devices. Your situation may be different but you should still get the idea

First, change into root by typing

su

followed by your root password.

You need edit the line that has started with the word append so to become like this:

append="noquiet devfs=mount mem=nopentium hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

In other word, just add "hdc=ide-scsi" and "hdd=ide-scsi" to turn on the scsi emulation for both devices.

After editing the file and saving it, you need to run lilo for the config file to stick, so type

/sbin/lilo -v

After the reboot, your CD devices is going to be detected as SCSI instead of IDE. Run XCDRoast or any CDWriter software to detect the burner and whatever CD devices you want to put as reader.

Hope it helps.