Building a Linux only Box.....

Sarissi

I am planning on buying a Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Motherboard on 03 OCT 2003. This will begin the lengthy process (for me) of building a Linux only box. The reason that it is lenghty, is that I have to buy RAM (DDR) and a couple of 120+ GB hard disks. Everything else I can port from my current system, including the case.

If anyone knows of any issues with Mandrake Linux 9.1 and this motherboard, please let me know before friday!!!!!

Here is what I want to do:

Build Linux only (native boot) system for online.

Move current mobo and hdds into a new case for a win98se system for my games.

Possibly do a Wireless internet access for the win98se box.

The primary reasons are that I don't like the ever growing number of windows worms and viruses, and I want to go beyond the 1 GB ram that I have now (pc133).

What can I say, except that I love ram and hdd space. This comes from the days when I could barely afford 5 MB in SIMMS for my old 386DX-40 (1MB x 4 + 256KB x 4)

I am getting into 3D CGI as a hobbyist, so the more ram, the better.

I am on fixed income: Social Security Disability at less than $400 per month. As a result, I have to build my computer a part at a time. :D

If you have better suggestions, let me know.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Shouldn't be a problem, since it's a Via KT400 chipset. You may have slight troubles with the onboard lan, but there should be linux drivers for it on the driver disk. I'm using an Asus A7V600 (Via KT600 chipset) and I had to patch the kernel to get DMA support because of the Via southbridge, but that shouldn't be a problem with the KT400. My Asus came with a Linux driver for the Gigabit LAN onboard, but I haven't tested it yet.

Thanks, Steve! Lan and sound are no problem, as I use a DLink DFE-530TX+ and Creative SB PCI 128. Both are fully supported in Mandrake.

My current mobo, ASRock K7VT2 is not even listed on Mandrake's website. It is made by Asus Group. What ticked me off, is that Mandrake Install + the mobo do not play well with a Promise Ultra100 PCI controller and the onboard ata133 controller. Mandrake install swapped the controllers for install, then bootup changed them back to normal order. This totally screwed the partition and hdd order for mandrake. I had to remove the promise controller and one cdrom drive (replaced with 61 GB maxtor) to handle my hdd needs, and get a working dualboot.

Does Chaintech have ths particular problem of not wanting 2 eide controllers functioning at the same time? (mobo and PCI eide)

Of course, with my wanting to totally separate my win98se native boot into a different system from the linux box, this really doesn't matter. Particularly if I want to max out the ram on the Chaintech (4 GB DDR). :D