Resolve.conf problem.

Pepse

I couldn't find an answer to this problem via a Google/Linux search or anything on this Board. On my big hdd I installed MDK 9.1 and when setting up my internet connection I get it completed and try to connect and get an error of: /etc/resolve.conf " and something about going to "net_monitor " , which I do and it can't connect and says to go to MCC to fix the problem. And of course when I go there and redo the wizard I end up with the same results and of course it becomes a vicious circle. I even tried to get to " resolve.conf " thru vim to no avail. How do I resolve this dilemma??

There is a mention of something about leaving this resolve.conf blank; but of course I gotta get there first. Will this problem give me a hassle with DSL or is it a modem issue??

Pepse.

At the moment I still have a modem. But I did have a NiC card in when I installed 9.1 because I plan to go to DSL soon. I removed the NiC card because it was causing Linux to hang up for about a minute on boot and also, because I thought it might be the reason I was getting the error when trying to get my modem connection working. Also, cybrjackle, I looked in the FAQ's you mention and didn't see anything relevent to this error.

bvc, I seen your email after cybrjackle and I see that might have been my error when trying to go there, but another thing is that I'm not comfortable with VIM so when going there I tend to get lost/frustrated easy. I am comfortable with MC tho, because it reminds me of a program I had from my DOS days. Anyway, would I be able to find this resolv.conf in MC??

Later. Pepse.

Just to make sure you understand I had both the USR 56K modem and 3COM NiC card in at the same time. I've had the modem since I started using Linux over a year ago so I know that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, cybrjackle, I looked in the FAQ's you mention and didn't see anything relevent to this error.  

That's just in the sign.

bvc, I seen your email after cybrjackle and I see that might have been my error when trying to go there, but another thing is that I'm not comfortable with VIM so when going there I tend to get lost/frustrated easy.  I am comfortable with MC tho, because it reminds me of a program I had from my DOS days.  Anyway, would I be able to find this resolv.conf in MC??

Try using "nano" instead, it's a little friendlier.

#nano -w /etc/resolv.conf

Well, when I did the nano thing it came back as " bash: nano: command not found . Then I went to /etc/ and typed " nano -w /resolv.conf " and got the same reply " bash: nano: command not found . Then I typed " nano " and got the same reply. I got a feeling nano doesn't exist in my computer. I am doing all of this on my backup hdd with MDK 9.0 the quick no brains needed install; so if nano comes with 9.0 it is not toggled. Lets assume genm is right that I don't have "resolve.conf" how do I create a file?? Or where??

I'm feeling stoopid again.

Pepse.

Just use mc and go to /etc. Run down past the directories to the r's. It's there. But the real question is, if the file is written each time at boot, why isn't your's being written?

resolv.conf should be there. I had the same prob with one of the Ark Linux releases, alpha6 I think. resov.conf was not being created, even though it should have been. I created it manually as an empty file. No more probs with ppp.

Open a terminal. su to root.

type cd /etc hit Enter

type cat>resolv.conf hit Enter

now, press and hold the Ctrl key and hit the d.

exit the terminal and you now have a fresh, new, blank resolv.conf in /etc

There might be another problem as I did what Genm mentioned and then went to net_monitor and it still wouldn't connect. On the Konsole screen it showed an error of: Glib-critical **: File gmain.c: Line 500 (g_source_remove): assertion 'tag 7 0 failed. SIOCDELRT: No such process. Failed to activate ppp0 with error 2. So, then I went to mc /etc and the resolve.conf is there. Actually 2 of them. One I had just created and the other was created on 10-01. The one created on 10-02 also had a line stating resolve.conf.save. Since I don't have anything important on the big hdd do you think I should just format the drive and start over?? When I did the Google/Linux search the one thing I had noticed was that 2 people had mentioned about installing Linux using the Standard Security and wondered if that might be causing the problem. One of the people had this problem after installing RH 7.3. Just a thought.

Pepse.

Oh yeah, I did also try the internet Wizard in MCC; no luck.

nah, do not format!

man pppd

2      An  error was detected in processing the options given, such as two mutu-

ally exclusive options being used.

there's just something wrong with the config. What does

/etc/ppp/options

/etc/resolv.conf

say?

OK, I went to /etc and thru mc and went past the directories and there is no reference to ppp/options, but in the resolv.conf the page is blank. So, anyway I scrolled up to the directories and found "ppp" looked in and this is what's there:

/peers ppp0

chap secrects

*ip-down

*ip-down.ipv6to4

*ip-up

*ip-up.ipv6to4

*ipv6-down

*ipv6-up

options (F3'd to see what's in it and it shows "Lock no auth noipdefault use peerdns )

pap-secrets (F3'd it and it shows my internet login name and ppp0 and my internet password)

resolv.conf (F3'd it and it shows the name server with the numerical address )

Later. Pepse.

Where do I find KPPP?? I looked in /etc and root and found nothing. I even looked at package selection, nothing. Not even in start applications networking. I must be missing something here.

Pepse.