New laptop ordered!

ezroller

which OS?  

1. 1. which OS?

• Leave OSX and use the X11 extensions to use Open Source apps!
    • blow away OSX and use only free software!
    • Run Linux and OSX in MOL!

I will soon be the proud new owner of a 12" apple powerbook. I am beyond excited. I am having trouble deciding whether or not I will keep OSX on it. so how about a simple vote to help me decide?

beautyshotpowerbook12_0903.jpg

The question comes down to the question of how deeply commited I am to the open source philosophy. I feel like I'm being profane not using linux on any piece of hardware, no matter how pretty the OS.

Forget about your OpenSource ideology and just sit back and enjoy OS-X.

If your paying for this yourself you obviously worked your ass off for it and if your company are buying it you obviously work your ass off for them.

I'd not even bother with MOL until you feel like it or need something, just ENJOY it for what it is.

Over time you will either need the apps or just be curious and then you can decide but why bother until that time.

First work out what you'll be missing if you wipe it of OS-X, then work out how much time for MOL and then make an objective decision. Personally I bet you end up having it at least dual boot...OS-X is just to nice to want to get rid of completely.

Don't let your over-moralising take this away from you.... :D ... anymore than I do if I play an XBox game.

Personally I think im way more hypocritical in this but I don't let it worry me :D ... I don't even need to justify it.

Linux; when it comes down to it is about choice.... and that includes the choice to run other OS's if it offers something. You will probably find lots of native OS-X apps that just work and don't need tinkering with which will just give you more time to tinker with the ones you really want to.

I have no objection to using commercial software in Linux, let alone using OS-X. Having open source doesn't preclude people making closed source apps if they find that the best way for them. Of course they have to choose between missing out on the advantages of opensource....

Look at it like this....

Does the ability to Run Oracle on Linux make it stronger or weaker.

I'd argue overwhelmingly for stronger.

Oracle have the majority of their stuff closed source but have still contributed to the Opensource ideal. Having the ability to ruin the worlds leading DB on Linux has made it a choice for people that mysql just can't provide the goods on. But that doesn't even weaken mysql, let alone linux as a whole. If you want to distribute a whole phpBB package then mysql is still the logical choice.....

So.... YOU LUCKY $$$$ .... go and enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a good friend running OS X on a G5 dual server and a desktop. He loves it and we have installed several open source products on it. Most all of the *nix commands work and he is turning into a cli junkie!

I think you should keep OS X and dual boot if you really must, but from what I hear, it works great! Enjoy...

Guess you cannot vote in this Laptop forum... probably didn't set that feature when it was created a while back?

the poll probably just ran for a few days and then ended. But thanks for the input. I have actually just kept OSX, and added the X11 extensions. works perfectly for me. And I never installed linux. I made a seperate partition and have been toying with opendarwin. Thats the open source underlying OS of OSX, the seperate partition is just for rescue ops. no GUI, just cli and network. I may add flux to it though.

OSX is nice in theory, but a bit of a pain in practice. I used to help a friend who have a G4 mac install a lot of stuffs (including drivers for printer which is supposed to be mac compatible [but not mac OSX compatible]). Since she has a combination of OSX and OS9 apps in that computer, managing it is a bit of a pain. When I was standing in front of her computer, the first thing I looked for is the terminal since I know OSX is at least unix based. :)

But if you have native OSX apps all the way, OSX is a nice OS to have. OSX with X extensions is even nicer. I onced ssh -X from her mac to my computer (with DSL line) and run evolution in her mac to check my email. Now that showed her what a geek I am but I have no regret whatsoever :D

OSX is rediculously nice. I currently have 10.2.8, but panther is on the way. If you want to be able to move around the directories like a unix-savvy user and not a mac user, it takes some configuring. but thats the fun right? I also set it to boot into single user mode in order to allow me to choose my gui at boot. you know replace aqua with fluxbox for a little while.

But that is rare. I have been staying in aqua mode more and more. Every now and then, I'll run KDE on top of aqua. thats cool. instant access to all my X11 apps, and all the cocoa apps.

I really like OSX. I will probablu stick with this OS for a while. I still use Linux at work; less and less as I take this laptop everywhere.

tyme if you can get your hands on an ibook, I say go for it. you'll love it.

yeah 5k a year will not be getting you that loan. I work full time for my school, and pull a lot more than that. So that probably helped out a lot. you could always lie! thats a bit illigal though. second option: hit the parents up!!!

well, i really have no idea what i make per year, to be quite honest. i'd have to hunt down my income tax form which is at home somewhere...but if i worked full time (year-round instead of over breaks) at my DISA-FSO job i'd be making around $22,000