Big Failure in Installing Mandrake 9.1

Guest rvijay

I have tried to Install Mandrake 9.1 over 20 times and it has failed. On several instances:

1. Install Freezes (I have also tried with 200Meg. Swap Partition)

2. Installation is OK a few times but KDE fails to laod. Windows open, close and then finally everything freezes with a watch icon.

3. Gnome loaded once just the first time but then failed to perform well, screen was shaking and there was a lockout at some point.

4. I tried to load all other Desktop Environments alone inorder to get ICEWM. There were freezes all the time during the install process.

Knoppix loads very well on my machine. Presently I use Vector Linux 3.2

My PC: IBM Aptiva, 333Mhz, 4G HD, 156 RAM, 56K Modem

I was adviced to try the following at

Mandrake Boot:

1) text vga=normal mem=140M

2) text vga=normal mem=140M versf=off

For both the above KDE installed very well but didn't load on Boot.

Same way Windows tried to load but were immediately closed

As adviced, I also tried the Ctr+Alt+BckSpc

Before the PC returned to the command mode the following

lines were displayed on the screen (Shared at the end of this

message.)

Please advice on the further course of action or any other related

suggestions. Thanks.

(Note: I was able to install FreeBSD very easily as it has a

text/graphic utility to configure the XFree86config file to my PCs

components/their specifications. Mandrkae doesn't seem to allow that.

Moreover, I have the 4MB SiS5597/5598 chip/Video Card which is a very

poor graphica card. Hence, the grapics were not that great on FreeBSD

KDE but atleast it worked. Wonder, if there is some way that I can

also do this in Mandrake 9.1 ?)

Vijay

Sharing here for your analysis:

using XFree86 SiS Driver Vs. 3.0.0

(--) SVGA: Using Programmable Clocks

(--) SVGA: Chipset: Sis 5597

(--) SVGA: Videoram: 4096K

(XX) SVGA: Option "Power_Saver"

(XX) SVGA: Using 24ppp, depth 24, Color wt.:888

(--) SVGA: Max. Allowed Dot Clock: 51.365 MHz

(XX) SVGA: Mode "1024x768":mode clock=44.900

(XX) SVGA: Mode "800x600" :mode clock=50.000

(XX) SVGA: Mode "640x480" :mode clock=45.800

(--) SVGA: Virtual Resoltuion Set to 1024x768

(--) SVGA: Using Linear Frame Buffer at

0x0E100000, Size 4Mb

(--) SVGA: SiS: Memory Mapped I/O selected at

0x0e1500000

(XX) SVGA: Using Hardware Cursor

(--) SVGA: Using XAA (XFree86 Acceleration Architecture)

(--) SVGA: XAA: Solid Filled Rectangles

(--) SVGA: XAA: Using 8 128x128 areas for pixmap coaching

(--) SVGA: XAA: Horizontal and Vertical Lines and Segments

Waiting for Xserver to shutdown

At Shutdown the following error message was observed:

Stopping devfsd daemon failed

another time this was observed

Stopping device manager failed

The rest were all OK

Later on, I read up on XFDrake and used it in the text mode to choose the

settings very close to my hardware. Unfortunately, this did not change

anything.

Wonder what could be causing this problem ? If you have had a similar

experience and/pr found a solution to this please share here. Thanks

in advance.

Welcome to Mandrakeusers....

Well, you should be able to get mandrake installed but it won't be a speed demon.

Im guessing from the memory you quote you have a shared graphic-memory mobo with the graphics card built in ???

First thing is find if its a problem with X and the config file (/etc/X11/XFConfig-4) or the window managers.

Create a new user anyway!! ITs always a good policy....

call it config or whatever but then you can try things under this and once everythings working set-up your normal user.

You can use drakconfig (from the command line)

How familiar are you with runlevels ???

confident or whatever.... I can be more or less verbose according to your experience with this and your choice of command line editor (like vi or whatever)

If xfdrake failed you could try undr expert (xfdrake -expert)

Or you could try letting XFree configure it by itself

XFRee86 -configure

I'd start off with a minimal window manager (As you tried). Just to get X up and running then you know where the problems are.

Since you tried ICEWM this is a perfectly good start.

I would try an install them but not boot into them and see if this helps track down the problem.

I'm taking it you finish the install and everythings installed, you just can't start Xwindows ??

You could try running just

X

see if this loads up just X without a window manager or go back a stage and try xinit.

xinit is what is actually called by startx ... it just misses out on loading the window managers etc.

Try some of this and post back!!!

Good luck and welcome once again :D

Oh, you mention FreeBSD ... just let us know how familair you are with UNIX in gerneral.... we might save a lot of wasted words :D

>>Welcome to Mandrakeusers....

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

>> Im guessing from the memory you quote you have a shared graphic-memory mobo with the graphics card built in ???

This is true.

>>First thing is find if its a problem with X and the config file (/etc/X11/XFConfig-4) or the window managers.

This step is good to know.

>>Create a new user anyway!! ITs always a good policy....

call it config or whatever but then you can try things under this and once everythings working set-up your normal user.

You can use drakconfig (from the command line)

I always create a new user.

>>How familiar are you with runlevels ???

confident or whatever.... I can be more or less verbose according to your experience with this and your choice of command line editor (like vi or whatever)

Very unfamiliar. Treat me as a newbie.

>>If xfdrake failed you could try undr expert (xfdrake -expert)

Or you could try letting XFree configure it by itself

xfdrake worked and was successful. What I meant was that using xfdrake didn't solve the problem.

>> I'd start off with a minimal window manager (As you tried). Just to get X up and running then you know where the problems are.

Since you tried ICEWM this is a perfectly good start.

ICEWM doesn't even install in Madnrake. I am using it only under Vector Linux 3.2.

>> I'm taking it you finish the install and everythings installed, you just can't start Xwindows ??

This is not correct. I was able to install only a few times. Most of the times the install freezes during the process. At that point, rebooting and starting fresh is the only option left.

>> You could try running just

X

see if this loads up just X without a window manager or go back a stage and try xinit.

xinit is what is actually called by startx ... it just misses out on loading the window managers etc.

How do I just load x ?

>> Oh, you mention FreeBSD ... just let us know how familair you are with UNIX in gerneral.... we might save a lot of wasted words :D

Again not familiar at all with Unix. Just been using vector linux 3.2 for a few weeks that is all.

>> Try some of this and post back!!!

How can I try other things when the basic install itself fails most of the times ? I would appreciate assistance in solving this first.

>>Good luck and welcome once again :D

Thanks for the welcome again. :)

Regards,

Vijay

It sounds like a typical installer issue, which is a known bug. It runs weird because the install is a mess. Have you tries some install parameters, like nodma or noapci?

I hadn't realised if it was the install (copy to disk) or the install (configure X)

Like Ix says you probably need to run the safe install options.

This means another install of course!

Start with the bootable CD but choose F1 in the install process.

Once you do that you get the option of HOW to install.

You can pass 'safe' paramenters to the install kernel.

We have found out through trial and error and error and error :wink: that the apci and apic are the common probelms with the install kernel.

The suggested thing to type is

install noapic acpi=off

You can try the nodma too.

Give this a try.....

probably skip configuring the graphics card during install.

You can run the XFdrake later but at this point just getting everything installed before it freezes sounds a priority.

It will be interesting to see when your Mandrake official help comes through :D

I presume if they officially recognised just how many people have the same problem they would make them the default :wink:

I did look at the FAQ and documents here. Not much help there. The reason being that the problems are inconsistent. Whereever, there were suggestions, I tried to use them to resolve the issues. But they didn't help.

One thing I have to mention here is that, the problems are so inconsistent that it is hard to pin point a basic solution. Like installs freeze sometimes and don't sometimes.

I have described my problems extensively on the Usenet message boards. I searched google a lot and found a few other posts from people with my Chip/Monitor describe similar problems with Mandrake install. However, there are no solutions suggested by others in that thread.

I also approached The Linux Answer Group a fairly well known group of programmers that assist those with Linux Problems. They have strict rules that before posting there all efforts need to be tried to resolve the problem by net resources etc., I tried all their suggestions. They could help me with a initial hardware issue that I had and using the right boot options to get Knoppix started. However, eventually, even they stopped responding to my Mandrake install issues. This indicates that they didn't see a solution.

I am aldo a member of linuxquestions.org. Several posts there regarding the same issue, even in their Mandrake forum. Also used the search feature there. No significant progress either.

Red Hat 7.3 loads very well in my system, but KDE functions poorly. This is understandable to some extent.

That Knoppix 3.2 loads and performs very well indicates that my hardware is OK. This clearly indicates Mandrake install/software has serious problems.

Imagine someone buying their boxed product and facing such install problems. If install is such an issue, it makes one wonder what other issues are there ? By the way, several mentione Mandrake as an easy to use/install and friendly distro. In several cases such experiences leave newbies discouraged to Linux itself. Many will not mention this problem, try to seek solution will assume it is their fault/inability and move on.

Personally, I am glad that I decided at the start to try out several Distros and found Vector Linux 3.2.

I gave up on this Mandrake issue a long time ago. However, in trying to resolve this, I am learning several things about Linux. Hence, I have decided to look casually for solutions. Any suggestions welcome.

Vijay

I hadn't realised if it was the install (copy to disk) or the install (configure X)

Like Ix says you probably need to run the safe install options.

This means another install of course! 

Start with the bootable CD but choose F1 in the install process.

Once you do that you get the option of HOW to install.

You can pass 'safe' paramenters to the install kernel.

We have found out through trial and error and error and error :wink: that the apci and apic are the common probelms with the install kernel. 

The suggested thing to type is

install noapic acpi=off

You can try the nodma too. 

Give this a try.....

probably skip configuring the graphics card during install.

You can run the XFdrake later but at this point just getting everything installed before it freezes sounds a priority.

It will be interesting to see when your Mandrake official help comes through :D

I presume if they officially recognised just how many people have the same problem they would make them the default :wink:

Ok so I try another install again with:

install noapic apci=off nodma dma=off safe ? Is this correct ? I am a newbie.

Please assist with exact commands/steps in detail.

Thanks.

Vijay

what does

install

do? I haven't heard that one.

At the first screen>F1>then type

linux noapic apci=off ide=nodma <Press Enter>

OR

linux noapic apci=off nodma

though I don't know that there's a difference. Honestly, I'd start with as little as possible like

linux ide=nodma

then try

linux noapic

then try

linux noapic apci=off

then

linux noapic apci=off ide=nodma

til one works. If your sys is a couple of years old you shouldn't need the noapic though possible. I have a feeling your prob is dma....just guessing. I run an ooOOoold aptiva at work, older than yours and it won't even boot Morphix :roll:

what does

install

do? I haven't heard that one.

At the first screen>F1>then type

linux noapic apci=off ide=nodma <Press Enter>

OR

linux noapic apci=off nodma

Thanks for the above response. How do I install the Kernel in SAFE mode while following everything else mentioned here ? This is still not clear.

Also what does turning each of these commands do ? What do all these commands stand for ? Is this a Mandrake specific problem or do similar problems exist with all other distros as well ? I am also interested in ALT Linux. However, later I learned that it is also based on Mandrake. Hence the concern.

Vijay

I run an ooOOoold aptiva at work, older than yours and it won't even boot Morphix :roll:

How old is your Aptiva ? :shock: How long do Aptivas last ? Mine is 4 years old. From what I see on the net, those that were made towards the end of the Aptiva cycle were not great products.

Vijay

These are what we call kernel parameters. See my post below for kernelparameters.txt

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3099

As far as I know, any distro will accept these as they are for the kernel.

noapic=Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demon...IC_Function.htm

apci=off=Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

http://www.acpi.info/

ide=nodma=well, turns off dma :wink:

Concerning APIC and ACPI, for me (my MoBo), yes, it's a mandrake specific prob. I've installed RedHat9, Debian3 Woody>unstable, Libranet2.8, and Slackware9 without a prob except Slack didn't want to play with acpi for some reason.

My Aptiva at work was built in 1997 or 98 if I remember rt. The processor is something like a 266 and it only has 16MB RAM :shock: ,hence the reason Morphix won't boot.

These are what we call kernel parameters. See my post below for kernelparameters.txt

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3099

As far as I know, any distro will accept these as they are for the kernel.

From this thread, here is what worked:

a) expert noauto noapic

B) linux pci=biosThe problem was with the onboard lan SIS 900

(Note: I also have the onboard SIS chip )

Here is another question. If these features for eg., like dma are turned off, shouldn't they be turned on later ? How can I turn on any of these features later on ? At what point should they be turned on ? Thanks.

Vijay :?: