Big Failure in Installing Mandrake 9.1

Guest rvijay

most of the time they only need to be applied at install (installer bugs). In my case I have to boot with noapic acpi=off every boot and the kernel will use apm. It uses the first it finds. The only way to find out what will happen after install is to get through it. Tweaking can be done afterwards.

My Aptiva at work was built in 1997 or 98 if I remember rt. The processor is something like a 266 and it only has 16MB RAM :shock: ,hence the reason Morphix won't boot.

I bought my Aptiva in 1999. So yours is probably about a year or two older, that is all.

Vijay

most of the time they only need to be applied at install (installer bugs). In my case I have to boot with noapic acpi=off every boot and the kernel will use apm. It uses the first it finds. The only way to find out what will happen after install is to get through it. Tweaking can be done afterwards.

I have another related question. Red Hat 7.3 loads very well. However, later it fails to function properly. The screen shakes a lot and also HDE is slow and freezes a little during use. I used it only a little bit due to the problems.

Mandrake is based on Red Hat. The above problems indicate that there are other issues as well with my PC/install. What are they ? How can they be resolved ? Thanks.

Vijay

Well, I think you have to look at the kernel for the most part and not the distro or the distro version. I can resolve my apic/acpi prob in mandrake by getting a vanilla kernel from kernel.org and compiling it. Out of 4 mdk kernel versions none of them work for me. ML in it's early stages was greatly based on RH but that's not the case anymore. It just hapens to be an rpm-based distro, but it has it's own way of doing most things which separates it from RH, IMO. Don't worry what distro is based on what but rather what distro uses what kernel with what patches etc.... So, basically, don't worry about it, try them, and find one that works for you, or learn to customize your kernel if necessary. It's really not as hard as it seems. I was nervous the first one or two times but after that, you find yourself doing it as you fall asleep at the pc at 4 in the morning :lol: .

Well, I think you have to look at the kernel for the most part and not the distro or the distro version. I can resolve my apic/acpi prob in mandrake by getting a vanilla kernel from kernel.org and compiling it. Out of 4 mdk kernel versions none of them work for me. ML in it's early stages was greatly based on RH but that's not the case anymore. It just hapens to be an rpm-based distro, but it has it's own way of doing most things which separates it from RH, IMO. Don't worry what distro is based on what but rather what distro uses what kernel with what patches etc.... So, basically, don't worry about it, try them, and find one that works for you, or learn to customize your kernel if necessary. It's really not as hard as it seems. I was nervous the first one or two times but after that, you find yourself doing it as you fall asleep at the pc at 4 in the morning :lol: .

Ok, so basically all this boils down to the kernel then. It is good that we have gotten to the root of the problem. Since, it is not all that hard, I am willing to learn. Where can I learn more about compiling my own kernel (Sites, links in this regard welcome) (Found the answer to this at the FAQ. Thanks.) ? Does this become like Linux from scratch (Would still like the answer to this ? Also, here is an additional question - How often does the need to compile a kernel arise ? Is this very common ?

Thanks.

Vijay

Here are all the issues I need assistance with so far:

1. How to boot in safe mode.

3. Also how does disabling certain options at boot compare with kernal configuration ? I was suggested two different solutions to my problem and am currently confused between the two.

Thanks.

Vijay

Note: 2. Sites/info. on Learning about Compiling my own Kernel (SOLVED BELOW).

The tut in FAQ is all you need. Compiling the kernel is just a set of commands. Figuring out what to compile in (Y) as a module (M) or not (N) is trial and error. Some try for years and never succeed, others do it the first time. your mileage will be your own. I learned by search results with Google (the basic kernel HOWTO's). The most important thing is to remember to do make mrproper.

I d/k what safe mode is. I know what failsafe is but that's after install and basically doesn't run a lot of stuff, takes you (well use to) to init 3's linuxconf where you can config a lot of stuff, and/or choose to go to init 3 command promt.

Booting with kernel parameters is just that. Sets a kernel parameter for that boot session. If I understand what you're asking....I d/k what mdk is doing to the kernel to cause my apic/acpi prob. So I tell the kernel not to use those functions built into it. If I compile a vanilla kernel I don't worry about apic and tell the kernel acpi=on instead of off and install and run acpi and acpid at boot. Is that what you meant?

The tut in FAQ is all you need. Compiling the kernel is just a set of commands. Figuring out what to compile in (Y) as a module (M) or not (N) is trial and error. Some try for years and never succeed, others do it the first time. your mileage will be your own.

So this is not an easy process then if some take years at it. How can an average newbie handle this ? Also, how can a Windows user compile a Linux Kernel when he is using just plain Windows at start?

Booting with kernel parameters is just that. Sets a kernel parameter for that boot session. If I understand what you're asking....I d/k what mdk is doing to the kernel to cause my apic/acpi prob. So I tell the kernel not to use those functions built into it. If I compile a vanilla kernel I don't worry about apic and tell the kernel acpi=on instead of off and install and run acpi and acpid at boot. Is that what you meant?

This exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the explanation.

Vijay

So this is not an easy process then if some take years at it. How can an average newbie handle this ? Also, how can a Windows user compile a Linux Kernel when he is using just plain Windows at start?
this is what I'm saying...and I don't get it either but?....I didn't get a puter til Nov. 2000 and started using linux (Mandrake8.1) last 1/4 2001? first 1/4 2002?. I'm also a highschool drop-out. Some get it, some don't. I know many with college degree's and much higher iq's than me don't succeed at compiling the kernel, but I got it the first time. Go figure. This is why I said your mileage will be your mileage. You just gotta try a see what happens :wink:

this is what I'm saying...and I don't get it either but?....I didn't get a puter til Nov. 2000 and started using linux (Mandrake8.1) last 1/4 2001? first 1/4 2002?. I'm also a highschool drop-out. Some get it, some don't. I know many with college degree's and much higher iq's than me don't succeed at compiling the kernel, but I got it the first time. Go figure. This is why I said your mileage will be your mileage. You just gotta try a see what happens :wink:

This is very impressive to know indeed. People droput of high school for various reasons. Doesn't mean they are not intelligent. It just hasn't been tapped into yet. When they want it, it will be there. :)

Vijay

I agree that mileage is going to vary. I failed very badly at trying to compile slackware packages from source and gaveup on this process. So, I feel that a direct Linux Kernel Compile is something I can't handle.

However, once a system is running maybe I can remove or add a few components to the kernel if needed to make some minor changes. If I have to upgrade a Kernel, I might as well get a new Distro. I will probably take a lot longer to install the kernel than it takes to download the New Distro.

Vijay

CONCLUSION FOR NOW

At this point all my questions have been answered. I thank everyone for their prompt response to my situation and giving detailed responses to my Questions. The only thing left for me is to try and install with the boot commands discussed.

I have decided to try the install in the future for the following reasons:

1. I will wait to have the official response from the Mandrake Online Team. (This will ensure that I have complete assistance/info.)

2. There is more than one install try given that there are several boot commands. This is going to take atleast a few hours. So, I will do it when convenient.

3. A lot of information has been shared here along with the FAQ. I will read all this whenever possible and get familiar with all this. Sooner or later, I am going to need all this.

I will also bookmark this site and suggest it to anyone else who may find it helpful. Soon as I try out all the installs with the suggested boot commands, I will share the outcome here.

Meanwhile, any further comments/suggestions are welcome in this regard.

Best Regards,

Vijay :D