I did an apt-get upgrade all by myself !

null

I know I endlessly complain about rpm & dependencies, and I even wanted to try debian for the apt-get feature. But I'm too noobish for debian yet.

Current issue of Linux Magazine has a good article on using apt-get (under redhat). Since I'm using rh 9 currently, thought I'd give it a shot.

Installed the apt-get rpm. Went to the various apt repositories on the internet to get the correct lines to add to my /etc/apt/sources.list file, used vi to add the lines to sources.list, did an apt-get update so it would incorporate my additions to sources.list, did an apt-get check (optional I know), then did the big one... apt-get upgrade...

It appears to have finished properly. Took about 15 or 20 minutes (I have DSL). Everything still looks about the same, so guess it mostly does "behind the scenes" upgrading ...?

Anyway, I'm proud of myself and I didn't even get stuck anywhere and have to come here for advice... :lol:

This stuff is getting easier every day !!

I know I endlessly complain about rpm & dependencies, and I even wanted to try debian for the apt-get feature.  But I'm too noobish for debian yet.!!

/me thinks....

So I did install Deb.... took about 15 mins on my laptop and the problem bugging me since 9.0beta1 has finally gone away....

PCMCIA starts without a total kernel panick!!!

/me feels very pleased.

However....

minimal install is ... yep minimal.

I followed DOsen's excellent posts on 'upgrading to unstable' becuase the whole purpose is to get wireless lan working.

But when I did the apt-spy and edited the file in /etc/apt to unstable instead of stable it failed to get sources.

So I ftp'd a few servers until I found ones with unstable and added those instead of the ones apt-spy found.

In my naievity I now presumed that apt-spy would now find the best unstable sources so ran it again...it didn't they came back stable so I changed them back!!

then I did the apt-get update ... cool

and the

apt-get dist-upgrade

then it fell apart...

It seemed to be OK and started dkpkg >>???

But it keeps failing to find a libc library.

So it tells me .... run apt-get update again which I do and end up in a circular error.

hmmm. DOlsen, CybrJackle where are you now.....

Synaptic isn't easier?
Uhh....synaptic is a gui for apt. So, when you say synaptic, you're saying apt with less control but that control is rarely needed, that's all. :wink:

Gowator, don't use apt-spy. I don't. I found the mirror closest to me and edited sources.list myself. It probably took less time, and the mirror is as fast as I can go.

I know I endlessly complain about rpm & dependencies, and I even wanted to try debian for the apt-get feature.  But I'm too noobish for debian yet.!!

/me thinks....

So I did install Deb.... took about 15 mins on my laptop and the problem bugging me since 9.0beta1 has finally gone away....

PCMCIA starts without a total kernel panick!!!

/me feels very pleased.

However....

minimal install is ... yep minimal.

I followed DOsen's excellent posts on 'upgrading to unstable' becuase the whole purpose is to get wireless lan working.

But when I did the apt-spy and edited the file in /etc/apt to unstable instead of stable it failed to get sources.

So I ftp'd a few servers until I found ones with unstable and added those instead of the ones apt-spy found.

In my naievity I now presumed that apt-spy would now find the best unstable sources so ran it again...it didn't they came back stable so I changed them back!!

then I did the apt-get update ... cool

and the

apt-get dist-upgrade

then it fell apart...

It seemed to be OK and started dkpkg >>???

But it keeps failing to find a libc library.

So it tells me .... run apt-get update again which I do and end up in a circular error.

hmmm. DOlsen, CybrJackle where are you now.....

to fix the circular, apt-get update -f

-f Force

That's wierd, maybe you are typing the wrong command for apt-spy? it worked fine for me.

I had no problems with what dolson told me. He helped heaps. I'm up to date, i dist upgraded an hour ago. And i have GNOME 2.4 :). And apt-spy found the best servers. Ones i never knew about.

James

getting back to the point of the original post...

I think installing apt-get and getting it set up properly (adding locations to sources.list) should be one of the first priorities for a noobie.

I have to admit that during my linux experience off & on for a couple of months, that I have been very turned off by software installation problems. Now that I have discovered apt-get, well, I love linux again !

Now if I can use apt to install k3b, it'll be a gen-u-wine miracle... :lol:

I just haven't ever gotten that program installed (with rpm).

I'm using rh 9 at the moment, but does apt also work with mandrake ?

null:

Have you tried easy urpmi, 'it changed my life'

Using alien is all a bit hit and miss.

I think the quote is 'if it works - fine'

p.s. Not trying to hijack the thread but I always believe if the question is the same (in my case apt-get) its better to use an existing thread else people helping end up slitting across mutliple threads and repating themselves. I always try and direct people to pre-existing threads when Im helping two at once with the inference try and follow it from where you are now to where thread X is now...then you should be able to follow the same instructions...

My whole Deb adventure is based on following a thread by 85mercedes... since my issues were the same.

rcxau:

Thanks.... I think it depends which mirrors it finds...

I just typed

apt-spy

but I guess it was configured to find stable. Maybe some mirrors don't have an unstable tree or its in a different position ???

I think once it knows its unstable then it might work but I'll folow bvc until then :D

I will do the -f though ... thanks...

I keep meaning to RTMF but its working out which FM to read :D

And its all a bit fiddly in console only :D

I know ive just got me to blame ... I should read it... I tell allthe noobies RTFM.... :oops:

Not trying to hijack the thread

I wasn't complaining ... :)

I do the same thing all the time. In fact, recently I made my first post over on the LQ board (using someone else's thread), and I kind of got jumped on a little for hijacking :?

that's why I live on this board...

null:

Have you tried easy urpmi, 'it changed my life'

Using alien is all a bit hit and miss.  

I think the quote is 'if it works - fine'

rcxau:

Thanks.... I think it depends which mirrors it finds...

I just typed

apt-spy

but I guess it was configured to find stable.  Maybe some mirrors don't have an unstable tree or its in a different position ???

I think once it knows its unstable then it might work but I'll folow bvc until then :D  

I will do the -f though ... thanks...

I keep meaning to RTMF but its working out which FM to read :D  

And its all a bit fiddly in console only :D  

I know ive just got me to blame ... I should read it... I tell allthe noobies RTFM....  :oops:

Yep you need to pass it a parameter to find unstable ones, or at least in my verson you do. YOu can also tell it what part of the world to test the mirrors.

And as for ReadinTFM. I rarely do that!!

James

btw: what's the diff between what I did (apt-get upgrade) and apt-get dist-upgrade ?
now that I restored grub and I'm back in my Debian (time to dist-upgrade)....

..man apt-get tells the diff which explains the intelligence of apt-get dist-upgrade

upgrade

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages  currently

installed    on    the    system   from   the   sources   enumerated   in

/etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently  installed  with  new  versions

available  are  retrieved  and  upgraded; under no circumstances are cur-

rently installed packages removed,  or  packages  not  already  installed

retrieved  and  installed.  New  versions of currently installed packages

that cannot be upgraded without changing the install  status  of  another

package  will  be  left  at their current version. An update must be per-

formed first so that apt-get knows that  new  versions  of  packages  are

available.

dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade,  in  addition  to  performing the function of upgrade, also

intelligently handles changing dependencies with new  versions  of  pack-

ages;  apt-get  has  a  "smart"  conflict  resolution system, and it will

attempt to upgrade the most important packages at  the  expense  of  less

important  ones  if necessary.  The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a

list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files.  See also

apt_preferences(5)  for  a  mechanism for overriding the general settings

for individual packages.

And i have GNOME 2.4
What mirror? My unstable mirror is not offering gnome2.4 :evil:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free