Don't let Mdk 9.2 go with that !!

roland

[ didn't really know where to post that ]

listen:

- You are quiet and concentrate, working with DiskDrake,

- You have a piece of disk empty between Windows and say Swap

( typical situation after you had reduced Windows partitions ;-) )

- You select Expert mode,

- You select the empty space,

- You click on "Create",

- A MsgBox appears that says something like ( I'm translating )

"The partitions have been renumbered"

"Partition hda5 is now known as hda6"

"Partition hda6 is now known as hda7"

and so on ..

- Click on OK

The partitions display correctly

now lets format this new partition

- You select the newly created partition: hda5

- Click on "Format"

Congratulation: You wanted to format your new

hda5 patition ? You've just destroyed your hda6 partition !!

Thats a DiskDrake bug of Mandrake 9.1. sure: I can reproduced the problem.

So If you love Mandrake:

- check as much as you want with Mdk9.1: after all I can be a mad with allucinations or the Matrix don't work with me as its me the elected or whatever but let me tell you I'm sure of what I say,

- can somebody check that this bug is not on Mdk9.2rc2 ??

- if it is, please help me to inform MandrakeSoft as I don't know how to do :?

Thanks

roland

Hmmmm...never heard that one. I've seen people think it was destroyed when it was really there but either it was just not mounted, they didn't reboot, didn't have the updates, or need a better understanding of the bootloader config/fstab/mount etc....

Technically, you are suppose to create the partition, which is written to disk>reboot>then format. I have formated with diskdrake without rebooting numerous times though.

Are you sure it was really mounted and the data is gone? Did you reboot? Do you have all the drak updates (draktools, drakconf etc...)?

Have you installed an ran parted (on the cd's)

parted -i

print

rescue

Diskdrake doesn't do a secure erase so sometimes the data can be retrieved with parted.

Got any links to the bug report/info for 9.1?

Actually renumbering is not a bug. It's a part of linux, and the way it manages partitions.

As far as i know, linux isn't capable of having a hdd like so:

| /dev/hda1 | /dev/hda6 | /dev/hda5 |

Linux likes them in order

| /dev/hda1 | /dev/hda5 | /dev/hda6 |

Anyway, whenever you make a new partition before others, always remember to

a) update your fstab, this isn't always done properly

B) make sure the partition is formatted, so run: mkfs.ext3 or whatever type.

c) change lilo if your boot partition has been renumbered, then /sbin/lilo -v

I had problems with diskdrake. I use cfdisk now. Though that's coz i use debian too :)

James

Are you sure it was really mounted and the data is gone? Did you reboot? Do you have all the drak updates (draktools, drakconf etc...)?

yes sir.

I've detailed quite precisely what I did.

When I rebooted as there was a partition shift Lilo.conf and fstab were no more correct: that is normal, ,I know that, the trouble is not there !

The trouble is that the first time it happen to me I've damaged /home partition, this time I redo the manipulation just to test and I've damaged the swap partition: can't mount any more.

Have you installed an ran parted (on the cd's)

parted -i

print

rescue

Yes. That was when I was trying to fix my /home partition. parted don't know ext3 :-(

Got any links to the bug report/info for 9.1?

no. I don't know how to do a bug report.

roland

Actually renumbering is not a bug. It's a part of linux, and the way it manages partitions.

the problem is _not_ with the renumbering of the partition. The problem is with what DiskDrake do _after_ this renumbering.

As far as i know, linux isn't capable of having a hdd like so:

| /dev/hda1    | /dev/hda6  | /dev/hda5  |

you are wrong: it can

Anyway, whenever you make a new partition before others, always remember to

a) update your fstab, this isn't always done properly

B) make sure the partition is formatted, so run: mkfs.ext3 or whatever type.

c) change lilo if your boot partition has been renumbered, then /sbin/lilo -v

I know, it is not the problem here.

roland

I believe that after creating a partition, you should reboot before formatting it. It's different when linux is booted off a CD but when booted off a hard drive, its better to reboot and then format.

You are right. I'm quite sure that if I had rebooted would not have had the problem.

In this case the bug is: If I had to reboot, DiskDrake _must_ have forced me to do so or at least warned me I _must_ reboot before formating !

roland

Roland is right, its a bug, i also run into it (or similar) while building the LFS.

It displayed different sizes and even partitions that werent there, all becouse i did everything in a go, and here i agree with Roland again, it _should_ have warned that a reboot was necesary to make the changes work.

Anyway, i didnt had much data at that time so i didnt care much, but i did post about it.

Look,

Hey just cos lots of people have used it and got away with it doesn't mean its not a bug.

The only way I would use DISKDRAKE is if Im sure NO DISK currently attached to the PC has ANYTHING not backed up!!!

Sorry Roland .... I have NO INTENTION of reproducing your error UNTIL I actually take any disks with DATA OUT.

I think that diskdrake also answers yes to the fdisk Do you want to correct this error (Beware you might lose data) when it can't read a partition on any disk!!!

The effect of this is its TOO LATE to NOT save partition info becuase it was modified irreparably when you started diskdrake.

Roland ... I recommend looking at the source.... perhaps I will too. Try a recursive grep on fdisk in the disk drake source....

Look, 

Sorry Roland .... I have NO INTENTION of reproducing your error UNTIL I actually take any disks with DATA OUT. 

if you try to format partition hd<n> and your partition hd<n+1> is swap, you can test. no big deal if you damage swap.

Roland ... I recommend looking at the source.... perhaps I will too.  Try a recursive grep on fdisk in the disk drake source....

yep, does not seems a big deal: something like DiskDrake's internal data not updated after the partitions shift.

the trouble is:

- I have to do this on the spare time of my spare time .. and I dan't have much spare time,

- in witch langage is itwriten ? pearl I guess. I don't know pearl: only C++ & asm

Gowator and sud_crow: many thanks

It's good not to be alone :-)

roland

My experiences suggest it not just the n+1 problem....

It seems to even effect other disks ...

I suspect strongly its in the fdisk thing ....

It should be in perl ....

I expect its just passing a command line arguament when it starts.

Yes it seems incredible if the effect was overlooked but its like my 'Why start the network before PCMCIA' question.

My experiences suggest it not just the n+1 problem....

It seems to even effect other disks ...

No, believe me: I've did it several time to be sure: only n+1 is affected if you do it right.

If your swap partition is just after the Windows partition it's easy:

- downsize your Windows partition (again ;-)),

- reboot so you are sure everything is clean,

- do _exately_ as I did: see the first post

!! if your newly created is hda<n> be sure Swap is hda<n+1> before trying to format hda<n>!!

Yes it seems incredible if the effect was overlooked but its like my 'Why start the network before PCMCIA' question.

Yes. It's an important matter isn't it ? I could understand that but I'm affraid everybody is skeptical. I must reckon that it's fearfull to test.

And it's possible it's already fixed on 9.2rc2. But it's possible it is _not_ fixed yet. In this case, all who helped to fix that are going to be famous :-)

Me I can't do more :-(. I've eard there is a Dev forum over there. That's a job for them isn't it ?

mods ??

roland

Yeah but try this

(Actually don't)

Stick in a compact flash (USB or whatever) and make sure you don't have VFAT support or FAT 12

Start harddrake

Ooops.... it reports the partition table is corrupt...

Now try and QUIT...

You can't it tried to save the partition table but screws up...

If you changed anything on any other partitions your in a mess right now...

I think this is different to your prob but just another area where harddrake does serious damage if you don't know what your doing....

And if you did, your either lazy (like me) or don't care about loosing a few gigs of space when it creates the filesystem.....

When it comes to my data Ill get my 15 seconds of fame elsewhere :D

(I believe you by the way... just cos Im too scared to mess with harddrake anymore after it trashing several disks)

Hi,

I've installed cooker today.

The bug is still there :-(

I'm trying to post at cooker or bugzilla but it's not really easy.

I'm still trying but if some here use to work on cooker and can help me I think in may be a good thing for everybody.

Thanks

roland