Problems installing Mandrake 9.1

Guest brad2662

Guest brad2662

I'm trying to install Mandrake version 9.1 from an ISO, but ran into problems.

When installing, it gives me an error code when reading from the CD. The error code is:

hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34Aborted Command LastFailedSense 0x03

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also has:

EXT2-fs warning (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_read_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

With varying ide device numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no clue how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-When in ALT-F5 screen, it also says:

/tmp/imm.o: init_module: No such device

/tmp/ppa.o: init_module: No such device

Watch out with what you need, i started the same way, with the first cd, and then i run into some problems due to missing packages, not that the installer stoped or anything, but for example, Kppp its on the 3rd cd, and being a noobie (if you are), you might need it for a simple conection if you have dial up.

Welcome on board :D (its that the way to say/spell it? :oops: )

I honestly this is a power management prob.

I know that souinds crazy but

You didn't press F1 for extra options right.

At some point after booting the APM seems to interfer with modules and cause a probe...

This then fails to find the mods and the install just hangs...

Installer loops etc.... oh and your package lists will be screwed... if you do manage

I'd seriously start from scratch

Choose f1 then

try

linux noapic acpi=off

This is a fairly safe option and still does the graphical install.

Guest brad2662

There is no file for md5sums.

I'm also using a cable internet connection via a wireless network card. I'd have to install the network card, unfortunately a Microsoft product, before getting any connection.

Also installing using a graphical interface is really intensive on my computer. I'm running a computer that's a couple years old, back when Intel first came out with their MMX chips. So if I can get an install using text and then just install the graphical after, I don't know if that would be better or not.

I think since they moved to the isolinux install the RAMDISK requirement went up.

I might be wrong but I think it might be as high as 64MB

However, if your really that low It might be better to install an older version of Mandrake and certainly limit which desktop you run.

Linux used to be perfect for old machines that wouldn't run Windows but (sadly) those days are gone for the bleeding edge distro's.

I still run a very slimmed down RedHat on a P100, the same P100 that wouldn't install Mandrake 9 becuase of the memory.

How much mem have you ??

Whats your intended use for the machine ??

Guest brad2662

The MD5sum checked out.

I'm running an Intel Pentium 2 processor with MMX, 32MB of RAM, 1.99GB hard drive. Apart from that I'd have to check the system specs online.

I'm mainly going to use it just for word processing and using the internet. Maybe light gaming.