mandrake 9.1, linksys wireless trouble

mdemers883

1. when you boot is eth0 brought up, or error?

2. right after login su to root and do lsmod, and post the results here.

su <Enter>

root_password <Enter>

lsmod

Also post /etc/modules.conf

When you do;

ifconfig -a

is the eth card configed with an ip?...or just a mac address?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried this:

urpmi kernel-source

and

rpm -qa |grep kernel

and here is the output

[root@localhost user1]# urpmi kernel-source

Please insert the medium named "International CD (x86) (cdrom3)" on device [/dev/hdc]

Press Enter when ready...

installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/kernel-source-2.4.21-0.13mdk.i586.rpm

Preparing...                ##################################################

1:kernel-source          ##################################################

[root@localhost user1]# rpm -qa | grep kernel

kernel-enterprise-2.4.21.0.13mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-2.4.21.0.13mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-source-2.4.21-0.13mdk

[root@localhost user1]#

tried

locate orinoco_pci

and

modprobe orinoco_pci

and here's the output

[root@localhost user1]# locate orinoco_pci

warning: locate: could not open database: /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db: No such f      ile or directory

warning: You need to run the 'updatedb' command (as root) to create the database      .

[root@localhost user1]# updatedb

[root@localhost user1]# locate orinoco_pci

/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.13mdk/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.c

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o.gz

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o.gz

[root@localhost user1]# modprobe orinoco_pci

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o.gz: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o.gz failed

modprobe: insmod orinoco_pci failed

[root@localhost user1]#

Ok, I just searched a little farther and before we continue, which version of this card is it? If it is 2.7 or above unfortunately there is no driver for it yet. If it is lower than 2.7, we can get it working.

See response 5 here: http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/fo...orum/21897.html for where I got that.

If it is a version lower than 2.7, you can get the wlan-ng drivers that have been proven to work here: ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/

Ok, I just searched a little farther and before we continue, which version of this card is it?  If it is 2.7 or above unfortunately there is no driver for it yet.  If it is lower than 2.7, we can get it working.  

See response 5 here: http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/fo...orum/21897.html for where I got that.

If it is a version lower than 2.7, you can get the wlan-ng drivers that have been proven to work here:ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/

Thanks man, you have been a very big help. Unfortunately my card is version 2.7 :( hopefully tomorrow I can go snag a compatible card. Is there a card (wifi) that you would recommend?

Mark

I don't have much experience with PCI WiFi cards, but if you take a look at my FAQ on Wireless PCMCIA cards, I posted a link there with a list of cards that definitely work in Linux. If it has a driver next listed next to it, it works. Check it out.

I personally have a Siemens PCMCIA card in my laptop. I love it and it works perfectly. If you can get one, I would definitely suggest a Siemens PCI card. 3Com and Netgear also have pretty good support.

Also, if you still have the packaging for your current card and wherever you bought it from will accept it back, I would say return it and write an email to Linksys explaining that you returned it and the reason why (no Linux driver). The more emails that get sent out about things like this, the more companies will (hopefully) realize that we are most definitely a viable market and put more R&D money into writing good drivers for Linux.

Which version did you get? The 520+ only works for some people and only then with an experimental driver. If you got the regular 520 then you're all good. That one uses the prism2 driver so just modprobe prism2_pci and you should be all set and able to configure it from there.

Which version did you get?  The 520+ only works for some people and only then with an experimental driver.  If you got the regular 520 then you're all good.  That one uses the prism2 driver so just modprobe prism2_pci and you should be all set and able to configure it from there.

I bought the plain old 520. Thanks for the suggestion liquidzoo you have been a big help to me, thank you for your patience as well. Once I got my 120gig formatted and reinstall xp pro and mandrake I'll test it out! Thanks!

Mark

here's the updated situation. I formatted my 120gig drive last night. I installed xp pro and mandrake 9.1 with no probs. I still can't get online with mandrake yet, I'm not sure if my onboard ethernet (SiS900 10/100) is interfering. Here is what I've done at the terminal thus far.

[root@localhost mark]# urpmi kernel-source

Please insert the medium named "International CD (x86) (cdrom3)" on device [/dev/hdc]

Press Enter when ready...

installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/kernel-source-2.4.21-0.13mdk.i586.rpm

Preparing...                ##################################################

1:kernel-source          ##################################################

[root@localhost mark]# modprob prism2_pci

bash: modprob: command not found

[root@localhost mark]# modprobe prism2_pci

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o.gz: init_module: Operation not permitted

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o.gz failed

modprobe: insmod prism2_pci failed

[root@localhost mark]#

....like I said above

1. when you boot is eth0 brought up, or error?  

2. right after login su to root and do lsmod, and post the results here.  

su <Enter>  

root_password <Enter>  

lsmod  

Also post /etc/modules.conf  

When you do;  

ifconfig -a  

is the eth card configed with an ip?...or just a mac address?