installing software with rpm or urpmi

null

I'm dissapointed in the whole software install thing.

I wanted to install k3b under mdk 9.0. Got the rpm, but got a bunch of dependencies - cdrdao, and some others. I installed cdrdao from rpm (installed ok) but when I did the other dependencies - I got some conflict errors with other stuff.

Tried the urpmi setup (zarb.org) but although a couple of the selections seemed to go ok, I got some errors on some of my urpmi selections.

Anyway, when I urpmi anything - it just says something like "file or dir doesn't exist" or whatever - I can't remember.

I can't believe what a hassle just installing some stupid software is. And mdk is supposed to be the most user-friendly distro...???

1. how do I see how my urpmi is set-up, and how do I add more locations to it and how do I put the CDs back into an "install" location (I think I removed my CDs from install sources)

2. I wanted to try debian (there's a couple of posts under Other Distros) but guess like cybrjackle says - might as well learn a little under mdk first before jumping into deb.

I'd stick with Mandy till your confident.

The whole internet and mirrors have been acting up (IMHO) for a weeik or so..... perhaps just a glitch....

It sounds like your sources are a bit messed up.

The easiest way is probably just to redo them...

Do the easy urpmi thing but save the output to a text file.

Make sure you add contribs and plf and texstar very highly recommended.

Use any editor (but I use vi and just type i (for insert then middle mouse button)

Anyway, create the file and then

urmpi.removemedia -a

this will wipe everything... you can add the Cd's later. (but nce this is working you might not want to if you have broadband)

now (in the same directory)

chmod +x (name of file you created)

then sh (name of file)

It should go and collect all the information... it takes a while

Check the output for errors....

If it couldn't connect to one go back and repeat the process for that one choosing a different mirror.....

Once its done you can add from Configuation/Packaging/Install software.

or of course the command line... :D

If your refering to the setup at http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/ I just used it and it spit up an error too that I think was caused by a problem with texstar's site so I had to set up using the gui way.

1. how do I see how my urpmi is set-up, and how do I add more locations to it

Configuration --> Packaging--> Software Sources Manager

This will show a window with your sources that have been configured. I wanted to add texstar so I of course click the "add" button" then in next window:

select "ftp server"

Name = texstar

Path = ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ndrake/9.1/rpms

Relative path = hdlist.cz *

*I believe this is where this problem occured, because normally this file is located up one and in folder /base (which you would list then as "../base/hdlist.cz" --- use your browser to locate it)

click ok and save/quit

You can add local files, cd's, security update, and other sources with this.

Just as a side note here: If you are using Mandrake 9.0, then make sure you select that as the distribution at the plf site. If you don't, you will get a lot of errors (I would imagine) and there's going to be a good chance that the packages you want are not going to be able to be installed.

I could be wrong, but I think that is the way you have to do it.