no IP, can't conect...

VeeDubb

Let me explain my set-up.

I have my linux box set up as an internet gateway useing a dial-up modem. It is the gateway for all theother computers in my house. It's IP address is set to 192.168.1.1 in mcc.

it is connected to the WAN port on my router, whitch happens to be a WiFi router.

I ran drakGW to enable connection sharing between my ppp+ and eth0.

I can connect to my router just fine from anywhere in the house, but I can't connect for the internet or my linux box.

In the past, this configuration has always worked fine, but after my most recent re0install, it's not working.

When I check my connection in mcc, it shows an 'up' connection for eth0, but the IP field is blank. When I try to re-configure, the IP is correct there.

Also, when I try to re-run drakGW, it tells me shareing is allready configured but dissabled. If I choose to enable, nothing happens and if I choose to reconfigure I'm in the smae place.

I have used drak-sec and dissabled my firewall and I'm not running any new software.

here is the result of 'ifconfig'

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:2C:00:88:CD

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe400

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

RX packets:213 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:213 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:22510 (21.9 Kb)  TX bytes:22510 (21.9 Kb)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol

inet addr:67.227.206.182  P-t-P:67.227.128.59  Mask:255.255.255.255

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1524  Metric:1

RX packets:198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:222 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:3

RX bytes:146581 (143.1 Kb)  TX bytes:31656 (30.9 Kb)

Any suggestions appreciated.

This is something that got me too.

Its meant to create a virtual device for the ppp but if it goes wrong its a nightmare to fix.

To be honest i gave up and stuck two NIC's into an old box and just used it as a router.

I think the problem is the Mandrake Wizards have a few bugs and theyre $EXPLITIVE to recover from when they fail.

I did recover it a few times but the process was removing ALL the ppp stuff (using rpmdrake) and deleting the adapter then adding it again along with all the conneciton info...

It worked but I got bored keep doing it so eventuall I just stuck an old P100 in as a router!

Another way is maybe just add a second NIC for the home RFC IP's and then get rid of the connection sharing stuff etc by downloading the shorewall configs and editing in webmin....

If you want to undo what DrakGw does before retrying again:

DrakGw installs shorewall and bind.

To undo what DrakGw do, uninstall shorewall and uninstall bind as well.

!! I'm not sure !!, but I think you have then to reinstall tmdns if you want your pc to connect to the web again (without connection sharing of course)

hope this help

roland

Well, some of it helps a litle...

First, putting in two nics would not help at all. I already have a router. i connect to the internet via a DIAL-UP MODEM, don't know why, people always seem to miss that. Anyhow, this is the only option short of buying a $1,000.00 router that has a built in modem or serial ports and built in sofware for dialing a ppp connection.

I will rty the uninstall everything network or internet related and start over method, but I competely fail to see how that could possibly be the best option.

I've never been able to understand all DrakGW stuff. When my linux box was sharing the net to the windows box, I installed bastille-netfilter and InteractiveBastille and used to InteractiveBastille to set it all up. It works with netfilter.

I have actualy reinstaled mandrake now to see if that would fix the problem and it has made no difference.

As for bastilleInteractive. I can't find it anywhere.

On a hunch, I threw in a different nic, no dice. Then I swaped out the cable for the 3rd time, no dice. There must be some simple explanation to all of this. I can connect to my WiFi router with another device and ping my desktop. I can even enter it's IP in Opera and get the Apache page, but I can't get the damn thing to share it's internet. I've even dissabled my firewal, just in case.

Well, if your eth is still configured the same as the output from the above ifconfig, then it has no ip....and that won't work. Ditch dhcp and use static ip's starting at 192.168.1.2.

[EDIT]...and I'm not kidding....kppp would connect to the internet but not really...I couldn't get a page. Installed>configed wvdial>connected>browsed.....on both machines.

[EDIT] BUT...I am just a simple LAN (2 pc's) with a crossover cable.

Well, I am not using dhcp.  I entered 192.168.1.1 for my IP and it always worked fine in the past, as I already said, but somehow it is 'forgetting' it's own IP, thaat was all in  my original post.

My understanding is that when you run DrakGW, you are setting up shorewall and dhcp. While your eth0 can have a static IP and not use dhcp, your box needs something to dish out IPs to clients who wish to use it as a gateway, right? Or does the router handle giving out IPs? I'm not familiar with routers, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

What does /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 look like? Do you have an /etc/dhcpd.conf file? If so, what does it look like?

right.

Masquerading _without_ filtering:

enter as root:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

replace ppp0 by eth0 or whatever is connected to your modem/router

Note about dhcp, just in case:

I have a ADSL modem here that acts as a dhcp server. But it gives always the same IP adress. so I tried to set eth1 (connected to the modem) as static with this ip adress. Does not work. may be the modem expect a kind of "negociation" to activate. Can't it be the same with your modem router ?

hope this help

roland

By firewall do you mean the Mandrake one ???

If you disable it then it disables routing as well

try just typing

route

as  

root

and see if it picks up the default gw

Yes, I mean the mandrake one, and either you are mistaken or we are not clearly understanding eachother, as I have always done this in the past, and it has always worked.

I have a new netcard and I have re-installed mandrake from scratch. I set up my dial-up connection as default, and set my eth0 to 192.168.1.2

Then I used drakGW to set up sharing.

I then went to mcc>Security>drakFirewall, and chose the first option whitch says "everything. No firewall"

Steve, My router is a relatively expensive one and it IS set up for automatic DHCP, NAT and has a built in firewall. I have it's firewall as un-restriced as possible and set it up as though It's WAN port connected to a Static IP ISP. I told it the IP assigned by the service provider (in this case, my mandrake box) is 192.168.1.3, so, my mandrake box see's it as 192.168.1.3, and it uses it's built in NAT and DHCP functions to broadcast IP's from 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.199 to the computers it serves and then translates the addresses back and forth so my mandrake box only sees one device with an IP of 192.168.1.3 Set up in this way, I don't atualy need my mandrake box to broadcast dhcp, it just broadcasts and my router just ignores it.

Everything I have listed is exactly what I have done in the past and it has always worked. There is something else, some other bit of info I'm missing that is somehow differnt. ANy help would be appreciated.

roland, I will try your commands but I don't think they apply from your description. It sounds like your set up doesn't have anything in common with mine at all, except that you connect to the internet.

Here is my set-up again.

My mandrake box connects directly to the internet through a DIAL-UP 56K MODEM connected to serial port ttyS1

It has ONLY 1 nic. That nic is connected to an SMC WiFi router's WAN port. The router thinks my Mandrake box is a dedicated internet gateway. I have other computers in my house connected to the SMC router via WiFi

Well, it's working now, though I still don't know why it wasn't working before. I redid everything but this time I selected Dynamic IP on my router so it is using the DHCP broadcast from my mandrake box.

Even though It's still working I'd like to know why it suddenly stopped working with static IP's. Oh well, at least all I use it for is internet