How to upgrade NVidia card?

Guest Kamikaze_Gerbil

Guest Kamikaze_Gerbil

I'm looking to upgrade my old nVidia (Creative Annihilator Pro DDR) to a G4 4200. I currently have MD 9.0 with the nvidia drivers created from the source rpms.

Can I just swap the cards or do I have to do something else?

(Be gentle, I'm a Linux noobie) :)

I would strongly suggest reinstalling the kernel rpm at least. You do not need to rebuild and then install and you should not need to uninstall the current drivers. Simply freshen the rpm that is already installed.

>rpm -Fvh NVIDIA......rpm

However, I could be wrong about this. Change the cards, freshen the drivers and the worst thing that could happen is that you need to use the command line for a bit till you get everything sorted out.

The one thing you do not want to do is to allow Mandrake to make changes for you. When you reboot, it will detect the new hardware. Just press cancel. It will ask you if you want it to install the new hardware - just press cancel and do everything yourself.

Nothing will happen. I've done it and it works perfectly. I went from an ASUS GF2GTS to a MSI GF4 Ti4200.

Thats what i wanted to hear!

I just bought a GF4 Ti4200 today and already have a GF2PRO!

Don't spose any of you know where i can find a good tutorial for setting up the system so i can have my normal monitor on 1600 X 1200 and my TV on 1024 X 768 at the same time?

Even if i can't do that, can i even do 1024 X 768 on the monitor and the tv at the same time?

Specifically just have it setup to do it all the time and plug in the tv av cord when i want to see it on the tv, without having to do anything special?

Cheers

Guest Kamikaze_Gerbil
Nothing will happen. I've done it and it works perfectly. I went from an ASUS GF2GTS to a MSI GF4 Ti4200.

YES! Installed the card, booted up and everything works! UT2003 rocks (now :D )