ftp server behind a router?

Guest quakey

Guest quakey

Hi,

I run proftpd on mandarke linux and it was working fine. Since last night I installed a router, ppl can't seem to ftp in my server anymore. They got in but then it just hung indefinitely. Why is that?? (They usually saw the PASV command on their FTP client and tha'ts it) Thank you.

Do you think it's the router's fault? Maybe the routing part in the router is wrong (put the wrong port, the wrong local IP, etc). Maybe you need to upgrade the firmware of the router. Back when I was in US using DSL and a switch/router, I have to upgrade my firmware to a certain version since the router will lose packets to the point of nonconnecting after running a while, requiring a hard reset of the router (and sometimes the DSL modem too).

Check the manufacturer's webpage for a new firmware / routing software.

Guest quakey

I'll try to find a firmware update...if there is any..

Do you think it's the router's fault? Maybe the routing part in the router is wrong (put the wrong port, the wrong local IP, etc). Maybe you need to upgrade the firmware of the router. Back when I was in US using DSL and a switch/router, I have to upgrade my firmware to a certain version since the router will lose packets to the point of nonconnecting after running a while, requiring a hard reset of the router (and sometimes the DSL modem too).  

Check the manufacturer's webpage for a new firmware / routing software.

Guest quakey

I did that already. Users can actually get past the login and password stage of FTP, but then it just hangs when it is supposed to list the files...

Sounds like you firewalled them. Will need to forward port 21 through the router. I do this by going to 192.168.0.1 in a browser and logging in to my router's homepage. Most likely you can find more info on the manafacturer's website.

I did that already. Users can actually get past the login and password stage of FTP, but then it just hangs when it is supposed to list the files...

Sounds like you firewalled them. Will need to forward port 21 through the router. I do this by going to 192.168.0.1 in a browser and logging in to my router's homepage. Most likely you can find more info on the manafacturer's website.

Tell them to either turn passive on or off. I bet one of those is the problem.

It is working now after I updated the firmware.

Thanks for all the input from everyone!

Can only guess at this point. Run ifconfig on your machine and double check your nic settings. My machine likes to switch between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 for some reason. Or maybe reset the modem by shutting it down for 30 seconds. Find any updates yet?